bzzkff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

I have a Kingston SSD that I'm trying to reset to factory specs. When I try using the "Format" option, I am advised that the drive is being used and cannot be formatted.

My drive is not being used.

Even stranger, I simply erased all the files on there - a couple of games that have been properly uninstalled. Not only is the logo of one of the games used to identify the drive (wtf?), but although the drive shows as empty, it is still showing as being half full on my volume screen (Computer).

I can't seem to find any straightforward answers on the interwebz.

bzzkff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
My sig didn't show on the post; here's my specs:

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz
HSF: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4Gb
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4670
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W
HDD1: Western Digital Caviar 120Gb 7200rpm (OS, primary drive)
HDD2: Western Digital Black 2Tb 7200rpm (Storage)
HDD3: IOmega 1Tb USB 3.0 External Drive (Storage, Adobe CS5 files and projects)
SSD: Kingston 64Gb SATA II 3Gb/s (Games)
ODD: Samsung SH-S222A
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
Monitors: Acer X233H / Acer AL1706
Speakers: Logitech Z640 5.1 Dolby Surround (mobo audio)
Keyboard: Corsair K60
Mouse: Corsair M60

DarkMatterTrace

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hi bzz

Im unsure if there is a driver issue with your ssd (concerning the logo etc.), but you could try to:

First run a command promt as administrator and use chkdsk X: /F (where X: is the drive letter), to get an idea of the health of the disk.

Then open diskmanager (press START, right click "Computer" select manage, then disk management").
From there you have some options. I would suggest to try to delete the Volume of the SSD, and then recreate a new one, and then format it. Another option is to force a dismount of the disk and then try to delete/format it. You can dismount it by right click->Change drive letter and paths->remove.

If none of this works theres also the option of uinstalling/and then reinstalling the driver thats attached to the SSD in device manager.

Hope its of some use to you and good luck with it.

(1) Formating does NOT return to factory specs. Need to run a secure erease. Check Kingston's SSD webset for instructions.

(2) One way to clear drive (will probably need to do before a secure erease):
.. Remove all drives eceept that drive.
.. Insert your windows Installation DVD (You're nott going to install Win 7), boot to DVD
.. Select custon Install. on page that shows the drive, select DELETE partion - do this for all partitions if more than one are displayed.
.. Once done removing partition(s), exit install. Then you can do a secure erease.
Else a 3rd part partitioning program