Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Xchange

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2010 9:04:44 PM

have a xps 720 with a 1000 w psu and two 8800gtxs in Sli. mobo has the typical problems, they have replaced the ram and the mobo three times.

they want to exchange my comp for a xps 9000 with the regular psu and a gtx 260 with 1792 mb.

my is questions are:

1)should i settle for a non Sli board and a single gtx 260
2)the power supply is 475, in other words not upgradeable

i think they will give me a base model ALX, this is my fourth Xps.

More about : xchange

a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2010 10:58:17 PM

The video card is probably a slight down grade but it will run a lot cooler and have no scaling issues so it's kind of a wash. That's a huge downgrade on the PSU but I guess the system doesn't really need anything higher so it makes no effective difference. Are you getting a better processor or more ram or anything else out at least?
m
l
January 24, 2010 1:35:27 AM

jyjjy said:
The video card is probably a slight down grade but it will run a lot cooler and have no scaling issues so it's kind of a wash. That's a huge downgrade on the PSU but I guess the system doesn't really need anything higher so it makes no effective difference. Are you getting a better processor or more ram or anything else out at least?

im getting an i7 2.66 with 12mg 1066 ram. youre right about the card but the Sli upsets me. would like to think that i could upgrade to TWO better cards, not just one.

apparently Dell told me that ithey are bringing out a new line of Gaming computers. cant help but think that Alienware will take over in the gaming department, leaving Dell for home and home office. What do you think? i will try to get an Alienware out of them.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2010 11:15:23 AM

If you've got the warranty and they are replacing it might as well try to get the most you can. See if you can get them to give you an HD5850. That will be better than your SLIed cards performance and superior in a number of other ways(DX11, 3 monitor support, no scaling issues, MUCH less heat/power, ect)
m
l
January 24, 2010 12:06:03 PM

jyjjy said:
If you've got the warranty and they are replacing it might as well try to get the most you can. See if you can get them to give you an HD5850. That will be better than your SLIed cards performance and superior in a number of other ways(DX11, 3 monitor support, no scaling issues, MUCH less heat/power, ect)

I dont see the 5850 as an option but they have the HD5870. I will request that.

I still have to solve my mobo upgrade issue. My old computer has a 1000w psu. they are trying to give , me a 475 psu. there credo in a situation like this is "the same or better available today". my computer is old but i ordered it with the most available power and the most upgradeability (from Dell). I think i should tell them to stuff it and wait for the new computers. That or replace with something with a 1000w PSU, which means an Alienware. All this is unecessary if they took better care.
m
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2010 12:15:44 PM

Well the HD5870 would be even better but it's also a $400 video card so it's probably asking for too much. I guess try to work the angle that they are downgrading your PSU so in exchange you want a better card. Honestly that CPU/RAM upgrade is pretty nice already so good luck. Don't actually worry about the PSU too much though, as long as it runs the system competently it's fine.
January 24, 2010 12:41:38 PM

Best answer selected by marcus_85.
m
l
!