Boot Issues (Yes I Read The Sticky!

rtmcwilliams

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
My Build:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
Power Supply: FSP Group SAGA+ 450R 450W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
DVD Drive: LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K2/2GX - Retail

The Problem: I had all my parts installed and was trying to get the computer up and running. After pressing the power button, the case lights would flash and spin and the CPU fan would start spinning and everything looked like it was going great. Then, everything just powered down, and nothing...

I was reading over the sticky and looking it over and I heard a POP and a FLASH! The computer had been turned off, the PSU cable was still attached and the switch was in the ON position. I yanked the plug out. I wasn't looking directly at it but I think the flash came from the PSU.

I don't know if I should attempt turning it back on at any point, that seems like a bad idea. So now I am basically stuck...

Should I just throw my hands up and take it to a professional to diagnose?

But I digress...

I followed the BOOT Problems Sticky and as far as I know the only ones that I am questionable about are numbers 13, 16 (I don't have a speaker cable), and 20 (I'm not very familiar with CMOS).

I have been using a static wrist-strap the whole time, so I don't think static electricity was the problem...but the CPU didn't POP itself, so I don't know what went wrong.

Nightmare of a first build huh....

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Oh. My. God. Someone actually read a sticky before posting.... I'm completely floored.

My first guess would be the power supply. Do you have any other components you could test with, or any friends that could lend you a hand with it?

rtmcwilliams

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

No I don't really know anyone that has intimate knowledge of hardware...I know a lot of software geeks but not a lot of hardware ones. I'm hoping and praying that the PSU is the only casualty.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
*crosses fingers*

Do you have a battery backup/surge protector on it? If not, I'd get a voltage stabilizer. It has a very small battery so that it can protect against both dips and spikes, and I've never had my computer flicker or anything after putting it on.

rtmcwilliams

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Yes it was plugged into a surge protector at the time. The Computer was actually turned off at the time it happened, which baffles me...I mean it was plugged in and the switch was set to on, but it was still off.