Core i7 920 Build for Under $1400

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next 2 or 3 Months

BUDGET RANGE: $1400 Without Rebates (avoid those things like the plague)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mainly Gaming, Watching Movies, and of Course, the Internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Hard Drive, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg only (unless it's on sale or something like that)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel Core i7 920, Haf 932 (but if there's anything better for the same price ($150) or less, that'd be great), Radeon HD 5850 (unless there's anything else better for roughly the same price)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Eventually, just one GPU for now

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080p

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: If you find something different that my preferred parts, I'd like the stock fans to be blue, it must have good airflow, be moderately upgradeable, the hardware must be compatible with Windows 7 (that's what I have on my current HDD that I'll put in there), and must look generally awesome. Thanks in advance.

Solution
2-3 months purchase time = any pricing done today is null and void.

The 930 should be out by then as well.

The 5890/5860/5870 Eyefinity 6 as well as possibly Fermi's

The HAF X should be around

At this point it's great to research certain aspects of the build, but pricing or deciding on any individual component is <shrug> a waste of time.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
2-3 months purchase time = any pricing done today is null and void.

The 930 should be out by then as well.

The 5890/5860/5870 Eyefinity 6 as well as possibly Fermi's

The HAF X should be around

At this point it's great to research certain aspects of the build, but pricing or deciding on any individual component is <shrug> a waste of time.

Solution

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Okay, so I looked at FERMI, and what's the point of getting it for gaming when it's just going to be used for "ray tracing, physics, finite element analysis, high-precision scientific computing, sparse linear algebra, sorting, and search algorithms"? Is any of that even really applicable to gaming?