C2Q Q8300 vs. i3 530

The Q8000 are horrible processors they dont really overclock that well but they are cheap and thats why alot of OEM systems have them If you can get a Q9xxx would be better but thats only if you already have a socket 775 system. If you are buying new or building a new system get the I3 it can OC well into 4ghz with no trouble at all and are ver solid performers and it will also be cheaper then a Core 2 Quad.

dominator7

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

I am NOT overclocking
The core i3 may be cheaper , but the motherboard that is required is way more expensive !!

Then If budget is a main concern and you are buying new like obsidian says get an AMD system. Building an Socket 775 system is not the way to go the only time I can justify someone buying a core 2 processor is if you are just upgrading the system you have.

You can find decent 1156 boards for around $90 is that too much for your budget?

dominator7

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

90 is not much , but it would be better to buy socket 775 and the difference in price between LGA1156 and LGA775 invest in better graphic card

Thats up to you but to save money without killing your chances of upgrades and also get same performance if not better you should look into AMD Phenom II x4s. A core 2 Quad will cost around $170 and up where as you can get the likes of a Phenom II 955BE which will perform the same if not better then most of the lower end core 2 Quads for$150 these processors are actually more compareable in performance to an I5 so they really are the best bang for the buck.

Q9400 vs Phenom II 955
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=76

The Phenom is faster in just about everything and cost considerably less than the Q9400

TRENDING THREADS