lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I want to build a future proof pc with a (temporary)low end graphics card and i5 processor. I want to know how an overclock could affect the lifespan of an i5 3570k while it is cooled with "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO" I will only be doing a moderate overclock, not trying to get it all the way to 5GHz or testing limits.

Will this shorten the lifespan?
Does this also affect other parts of the computer?

I have not done this before, and I am nervous about wrecking the CPU.

Solution
no it effectively will not shorten the life span....they say every 10C you increase in the cpu its life cuts in half...but since you are using a hyper 212 evo your temps will be lower than the stock cooler even with a moderate OC....besides even if it does decrease the life of the cpu a little bit its life will still be way way longer than its effective use....by the time the thing dies you would have built 3 new pcs to replace it....also there is no such thing as a future proof PC...right now you just want to build the fastest pc you can so it lasts the longest

and no provided you have a good motherboard that can handle the extra power ans a solid PSU to deliver good clean power an OC will not affect the stability of other...

drums101

Distinguished
no it effectively will not shorten the life span....they say every 10C you increase in the cpu its life cuts in half...but since you are using a hyper 212 evo your temps will be lower than the stock cooler even with a moderate OC....besides even if it does decrease the life of the cpu a little bit its life will still be way way longer than its effective use....by the time the thing dies you would have built 3 new pcs to replace it....also there is no such thing as a future proof PC...right now you just want to build the fastest pc you can so it lasts the longest

and no provided you have a good motherboard that can handle the extra power ans a solid PSU to deliver good clean power an OC will not affect the stability of other components...as long as you take the OC slow and dont do anything stupid you will be fine like you said you are not going for anything crazy here

Solution

drums101

Distinguished
yea that board should be fine in all the years that I have been doing this I have never had a board fail on me bc of an OC....and I have run some pretty high OC's for long periods of time 24/7 so you will be fine