Sign in with
Your question

PC from 10/2009 is experiencing BSOD probl

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2010 11:05:32 PM

Hi,

My recently self-built PC built in 10/2009 is experiencing BSOD problems already! I was going to buy a DELL Studio 540 desktop, but they finished that line so I built something similar. Here's my spec:

Boxed Intel E7500 2.93 Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU with stock cooler
3GB Crucial RAM (2x1GB and 2x512mb) - used crucial configurator
Gigabyte EG41MF-US2H skt 775 mATX m'board
5000GB Hitachi deskstar S-ATA 2 hdd
Gainward 1GB Nvidia 9400GT PCI-e Graphics card
LG DVD-RW
Antec NSK3480UK mATX case
Antec 380 EarthWatts PSU

My problem is that I have been getting a few BSODs, and it seems to be from reading the mini-dmp files that it shuts down somehow when it shouldn't

Error report from Problem history in VISTA Control Panel:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini010510-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 83D60030
BCP3: 869536A0
BCP4: 86047E28
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

----------------------------------------

Report for Mini010510-01.dmp
Type of Analysis Performed Hang Analysis
Machine Name
Operating System Windows Vista
Number Of Processors
Process ID 455724
Process Image ntkrpamp.exe
System Up-Time 14:16:30
Process Up-Time 00:00:00

Top 5 Threads by CPU time
Note - Times include both user mode and kernel mode for each thread
Extended thread information (including thread CPU times) is unavailable in this dump

It appears that on running the crash analyzer tool, it's ntkrpamp.exe service that's causing it. I've heard it said that this is due to bad hardware, can someone confirm this or anyone got any other ideas please?

I have checked the Microsoft Digital Signature and all drivers are signed.

I hope this is not a hardware issue, as I really don't want to have to send stuff back to get a replacement, it's mostly all under warranty but UK Customer Service isn't great.

This system is generally quick but doesn't seem too stable, I get serious lag sometimes and I really shouldn't.

Hope someone can help.

Regards,

Mike

January 31, 2010 12:27:26 AM

Make sure that all your RAM timings are identical, and are they running and different speeds? You can check this through BIOS.

If all of the speeds and timings are identical, Go to memtest.org and download Memtest86+. Burn it to a DVD or CD, Put it in your CD/DVD drive and reboot the PC making sure it boots into it.

Let it run maybe 3 times, It will tell you if there is any problems with the RAM.
January 31, 2010 9:32:45 AM

Thanks for that idejason. The RAM is new when I purchased the rest of the PC bits, I bought the memory from Crucial.com using their configuration tool, so it's guaranteed compaible, but I think Crucial ram is over-rated?! I've heard of memtest so will give it a try.

I've been building systems since 1994 most of them have been ok, but what with dubious quality these days, it's doesn't seem so worth it anymore.

I'm on my 3rd S-ATA hdd after others have died, the last being a Western Digital, only lasted 12 months before S.M.A.R.T reported that the drive was failing, and I have a 40GB IDE drive from 10 years ago thats still working!
Related resources
January 31, 2010 10:42:05 AM

most bsod's are RAM. memtest it just to make sure. if you have no errors, your psu might be a little low for your system. to make sure, pull out your 9400gt and test if your system would still receive a bsod. good luck!
January 31, 2010 11:04:41 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded memtest, made a bootable cd and ran it, memory passed the tests with no errors. I'll try removing the graphics card next and see what happens.

I thought an Intel E7500 Core 2 Duo would be a good mid-range CPU. I didn't want to go Quad Core as I've heard about over-heating problems with them and it's really overkill for my needs.

I have heard numerous reports on the Internet regarding hard-drive controllers on Gigabyte motherboards, seeing as my RAM is fine, could this be the case?

Thanks again for your replies.
February 1, 2010 1:39:04 AM

Go to the Gigabyte site and update your chipset drivers. So the pc has been running fine until now?
February 1, 2010 10:08:02 AM

Thanks but I've already done that. It's never really been OK from day 1, spent more time re-installing Windows and sorting problems out than actually using it! It seems unusually unstable with odd behaviour. I thought it was just down to VISTA problems at first but the problems got worse as time progressed. I even tried Ubuntu on it and that is unstable also. So I think it must be a hardware problem, either CPU, Graphics Card or Motherboard as Hard drive is brand new and RAM tested OK.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on another hard drive, it worked fine a few times but now it will not boot into the GNOME desktop, it just displays the root login prompt (i.e like before X-Windows fires up) but this text, all text on screen is rapidly flashing (it shouldn't) and half the keys on the keyboard don't work, like num-lock does nothing and so on. Very odd.
By the way, Ubuntu won't work properly with only the on-board graphics as it's the Intel X4500on-board VGA, which doesn't seem to be supported in Ubuntu 9.10 hence using the Nvidia 9400GT.

I'm getting a bit frustrated, like I said I've built many PC's before but never had so much trouble as this one.

Does anyone know of any free or cheap reliable Burn-in software I can get hold of to test all hardware? I could Google it but recommendations preferable. I could really do with finding out where the problem is to isolate any suspect hardware so I can get it replaced under warranty, if they can verify the problems.

February 1, 2010 10:24:16 AM

Update: I just removed the 9400GT graphics card and still getting the exact same problems, so it's not that. Must be down to either CPU or Motherboard now.

Thanks for the replies and help.
February 1, 2010 10:42:14 AM

Go into BIOS, Check your voltage is sufficient with your RAM, to find out the Voltage needed for your RAM, Open your case up, Take a stick of ram out and you should see something like this:

[RAM timings]/[RAM speed]/[Manufacturer]/[ RAM Voltage]

Usually motherboards with DDR2 Compatability has Voltage set as [AUTO] which is about 1.8V, Since DDR2 RAM is quiet inefficient power wise this could be a power issue , This could explain your inconsistent crashing.

And if your having a look for a stablitity test, Use Prime95 when you run it use Blend this stresses your CPU,RAM,GPU etc etc, You can download it here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Prime95-Download-...

Hope i helped.
February 3, 2010 9:47:39 AM

Hi all,

Yet more problems. The PC locked up completely last night, couldn't move the mouse on the screen, no keypressing worked etc. This is without the Nvidia 9400GT graphics card installed and using the on-board graphics by the way so I am assuming that the 9400GT is fine. The trouble is either CPU or m'board.

I have just about had enough of it now so I'm tempted to get replaced what parts I can under warranty, if they can confirm a fault, which could be a difficult, seeing as nothing is 'dead'. Temporary problems are the worst/hardest to find.

I contacted Gigabyte support regarding the Motherboard on another issue a coupld of months ago, but they took ages to respond. I've had a replacement CPU (not this one) from Intel, and they were pretty quick. At least there is a 3 year warranty on the CPU.

I think I'll sell the parts off when repleced and get a new laptop. I'd love a MacBook Pro, but they're rather expensive!

Regards and thanks again for the assistance.

February 7, 2010 7:38:33 PM

Update

This is now solved: For the benefit of others reading this, this problem is definately the processor (CPU). I have tried the same motherboard, memory, hdd, but with a different CPU (Intel Pentium Dual Core) that is known to be OK, and have not experienced anymore BSOD or any instability issues with this other CPU installed. Think I will return it to Intel under warranty, hopefully they can verify the problems and give me a replacement.

Thanks again for the replies and assistance.
!