Sign in with
Your question

Build this? or start over anew?

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2010 11:17:54 PM

Just wanting some advice. I'm currently running a laptop with a Core 2 duo (2.2ghz) and want to get back into higher end gaming a bit more. I can play L4D2 and others with moderate settings but It gets hot in that little lappy really quick.

So a little over a year ago, I won a shuttle xpc (SP35P2 Pro) and it's been sitting in the box just waiting to be put together.

So a whole new generation of processors have come along, different memory, and SLI.

So the question is, with as little budget as I can get away with (Max of about 750-maybe 900), would you build out the Shuttle with a single higher end graphics card? or would you start fresh and build out a newer system with SLI and maybe an i7-i5?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to what this shuttle supports when it comes to processors. It states that it's ready for 45nm arch, but I don't see that it supports i5-i7.

Anyway, give me your thoughts please.

More about : build start anew

January 31, 2010 8:08:17 AM

I'd say you should sell the shuttle to get some extra money for an i5 build. Problem with the shuttle is because you won't be able to use a very high end graphics card since the CPU will bottleneck unless you overclock it pretty far.
m
l
January 31, 2010 12:12:02 PM

Wolygon said:
I'd say you should sell the shuttle to get some extra money for an i5 build. Problem with the shuttle is because you won't be able to use a very high end graphics card since the CPU will bottleneck unless you overclock it pretty far.

+1. If you could get a couple hundred bucks outta this (not sure how much it's worth) you could put together a good i5 build for about 1100.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2010 5:02:02 AM

I appreciate the info. I think I've decided to build out a cheap surfing/simple games/ extra pc with the shuttle as I don't see getting much out of it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
m
l
February 1, 2010 7:34:23 AM

^ You can make it into a good gaming PC still IMO...
C2Q 9400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or if it is just for gaming, then even the classic E8400 will be a very good option...

RAM
ADATA 4GB DDR2 800

Graphics card - HD 5770 - That PSU has enough power for this card...

The above setup will be able to play games decent upto 1680X1050...
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:37:54 PM

Ok, now you've got me thinking to just build this out full bore and see what it can do.

I'm Sporting a 24" monitor at 1920x1200. Would love to take advantage of that so Any recommendations for a video card that could get a little more is appreciated. Space is of course a concern with this little shuttle.

That also brings me into the areas of computer building that I've always had little knowledge of; power consumption.

I know this thing has a 400watt powersupply but you saying that the PSU has enough power for the card you recommended makes me think I'm not getting much more out of it?! or am I wrong.

If I'm going to do this, I'm going to fill it up with as much ram as possible. It says 8gbs soooo.

So basically any recommendations as to the best possible build with this shuttle would be highly appreciated. Best CPU, best Graphics Card, most compatible 8gbs of memory.

Oh, and I'd love to go with a SSD for the OS and key apps, with a back up platter drive.

I've been out of the loop for a while and things have changed a bit since my last build so I'll take any advice given.

Thanks

m
l
!