Nvidia 8800gt overheating, need replacement

Dear Forum,
I have an Nvidia 8800gt 512mb video card I bought from EVGA about two years ago and it never worked perfectly from day one. I contacted support from EVGA many times and did some research and it seems the memory on the board is running too hot and the fan seems to not change settings to compensate. After many driver changes and having the fan speed set to 100% manually I am able to play many games without artifacting, however I am tired of dealing with this thing and want to just replace it.
Can anyone suggest a graphics card to replace it? I typically use this computer for gaming and I want to have it updated in time for Bioshock 2 and Starcraft 2.

Sincerely,
Unhappy Gamer. :cry:
3 answers Last reply
More about nvidia 8800gt overheating replacement
  1. Okay, list the rest of your system here...
    What resolution do u play?
    And how much do u want to spend?

DId u clean the card from dust? re-apply the thermal paste? or change cooler with an aftermarket cooler? Maybe that can help u since the warranty is run out... :)
  2. Radeon HD 4650 for $50

Great 1280x1024 performance in most games, 1680x1050 with lowered detail

Radeon HD 4670 for $65

Good 1680x1050 performance in most games

GeForce 9800 GT for $90

Exceptional 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in most games with lowered detail

GeForce GTS 250 for $110

Good 1920x1200 performance in most games

Radeon 5750 for $130

Good 1920x1200 performance

Off all, I would recommend you to go for 5750
    Supporting DirectX11
    And will be good for a couple of years

GooD LucK
  3. forwardthining said:
    Dear Forum,
    I have an Nvidia 8800gt 512mb video card I bought from EVGA about two years ago and it never worked perfectly from day one. I contacted support from EVGA many times and did some research and it seems the memory on the board is running too hot and the fan seems to not change settings to compensate. After many driver changes and having the fan speed set to 100% manually I am able to play many games without artifacting, however I am tired of dealing with this thing and want to just replace it.
    Can anyone suggest a graphics card to replace it? I typically use this computer for gaming and I want to have it updated in time for Bioshock 2 and Starcraft 2.

Sincerely,
    Unhappy Gamer. :cry:

Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    What is your budget ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics