Only 1 Ram working at a time

joe123123

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hi everyone.Heres my problem I bought this new 1gb rams from newegg http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146580 this one and it works perfectly...Alone i had to remove my 512mb ram and replace it by the 1gb
i also tried putting the 1 gb ram alone in other slots than B2(slot4) but my computer dont turn on when rams is in slot 1 2 or 3...I can put the 1gb ram in slot 4 and exemple the 512mb in slot 1...my pc will turnon correctly but its looks like only slot 4 is working if i put the 512 mb ram on slot 4 and 1gb in slot 1 i would have only 512mb as shown.....

Do not ask if i correctly inserted the rams or i clipped the thing .....
the 512mb is also pc2 5300 same voltage (1.80)...
so tell me what is slot 4 the only one working(Bios, Drivers, Update, Motherboard.........)
Why would my pc have 4 slots if only one is working... is there anyway i could enable the other slot via the bios....
i dont think the rams must be compatible to work together because even alone they dont work in other slots

My computer beeps on the turn on...(Ram error)

Thanks for your help and time
Sincerly, Joe123123

Solution
You have nothing to lose. Flashing the BIOS really isn't a big deal. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Just make sure not to power down the system while it is updating the BIOS and you'll have nothing to worry about.

joe123123

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

I dont think compatibility has something to do with this ...Even with 1 Ram installed it dosent work in other ram slots it looks like only slot 4 is working RAM1 512mb pc2-5300 1.80V ddr2 Acer i dont know the timing
RAM2 1024mb pc2-5300 1.80V ddr2 667 Corsair 5-5-5-15

When i put the new Ram in slot 4 it works perfectly and the old ram does not work in other slots even alone the old rams for in only slot 4...like i told you it look like the other slots are disabled or deactivated im not sure..Why would the rams only works in one slot.My pc support 1gb per slot with a total of 4gb (Acer Aspire T180,Windows xp professional (sp2)
AMD 3800+

Detailed(Acer aspire AST180-EA381B

Thanks
Joe123123

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The memory slots are not disabled. If they don't work, then the motherboard is defective. It is possible that dust has accumulated in the slots and your memory is not getting a good connection. Blow out the slots if you can.

Also, looking at the specs for your system, I came across a link from a memory provider that indicates that your Acer is very picky regarding the memory it will use.

A link from Corsair's website shows the following configs are guaranteed to work with your system:
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=693312

Your memory isn't listed, but should work nonetheless. Verify that your slots are clean.

joe123123

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Well my pc cant support 2gb bars of ram anyway the new ram i got is excelent but what im wondering is why does only 1 slot working...The only slot working is the default one...well i tried cleaning again and again but nothing works But i am 100% sure that the ram i have works perfectly with my computer and im 100% sure the problems comes from the slots i just dont know what step should i use to make the connection...you are probably right the slot and the memory are not getting a connection at all..do you have any other clues or a software that scans my pc..anything

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Nothing comes to mind. If you checked the slots and they are clean, then the motherboard is likely defective and requires replacement.

Before you do that, are you running the most current BIOS? If not, flash your BIOS (instructions and downloads are available on Acer's website). Sometimes flashing the BIOS will correct errors on the system. You might even get those memory slots to work. Worth a shot.

joe123123

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Yes i checked there is a bios upgrade for my pc but you dont know how im scared shitless if this *** up even Acer wrote this cant *** up your pc and we are not responsible so i think im too scared to take the risk i heard if it dosent work my hope motherboard need to be changed

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You have nothing to lose. Flashing the BIOS really isn't a big deal. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Just make sure not to power down the system while it is updating the BIOS and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Solution