Sign in with
Your question

Is this computer good enough to run crysis on ultra high at 1080p?

Last response: in CPUs
April 6, 2010 8:51:02 PM

I'm thinking about buying a Dell Studio XPS 16 and want to be able to play crysis full everything at 1920x1080 resolution. Right now my settings for the computer are:Windows 7 64 bit OS, Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Quad Core Processor 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache),6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz,Full HD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080),ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB. Will this run it? And don't tell me that the graphics card isn't good enough because I've seen this exact computer (except with 8 Gbs of RAM) run Crysis warhead on Full settings in full HD flawlessly on youtube(it's no longer on youtube because the author took it down for some reason). Also, do I require 6 GB of RAM or would 4GB suffice? Thanks in advance.
April 6, 2010 9:04:43 PM

Depends on what you consider "Run." I'm sure just about any system will get there eventually. You might even get a 15-25FPS average on HIGH. I doubt you will be able to crank it up to Ultra with that graphics adapter though.

Check out some benchmarks for yourself mate.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 9:17:40 PM

CoolyHaloGmr29528 said:
I'm thinking about buying a Dell Studio XPS 16 and want to be able to play crysis full everything at 1920x1080 resolution. Right now my settings for the computer are:Windows 7 64 bit OS, Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Quad Core Processor 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache),6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz,Full HD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080),ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB. Will this run it? And don't tell me that the graphics card isn't good enough because I've seen this exact computer (except with 8 Gbs of RAM) run Crysis warhead on Full settings in full HD flawlessly on youtube(it's no longer on youtube because the author took it down for some reason). Also, do I require 6 GB of RAM or would 4GB suffice? Thanks in advance.

In short answer no,because HD 4670M is a mid range card and it can't play Crysis @ 1920x1080 with good frames,here is a link which shows the performance of a 4670M:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD...
I don't know how the guy you mentioned played it flawlessly on 1920x1200 and with very high settings
Also 4GB RAM is enough
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2010 9:28:30 PM

The 4670 is cant run Crysis at 1080p.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 9:31:58 PM

Well it actually can run but its not playable with very high settings on that resolution,the settings should come down to low(maybe some on medium)
m
l
April 7, 2010 4:21:04 AM

Hmm.... ok well thank you for your post. Also, the guy that did the youtube video had a 256 GB solid state drive. Would this improve the game performance? I was under the impression that it would only improve the loading speeds.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 5:19:57 AM

CoolyHaloGmr29528 said:
Hmm.... ok well thank you for your post. Also, the guy that did the youtube video had a 256 GB solid state drive. Would this improve the game performance? I was under the impression that it would only improve the loading speeds.

The guy was probably running it at lowered graphics settings (ie. medium) and at a much lower resolution. An SSD will not increase the fps of the game, only loading times.

A 4670M is weaker than a dedicated 4670, and even a dedicated 4670 can barely get 30fps in Crysis at 1280x1024 on "high" with AA turned off.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 6:39:34 AM

^+1.

There are very few cards that can play Crysis at 1080p at ULTRA HIGH :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 7:20:46 AM

CoolyHaloGmr29528 said:

No,SSD doesn't make a difference in graphics,it improves the load times.
m
l
April 7, 2010 10:04:22 AM

I would say you need 2xgtx285 in sli or 5870 crossfire, 4 gb of ram is ok, a good CPu and money to buy them all:) .
EDIT: i meant a good overclocked CPU:) .
To go to max settings at 1080p in crysis is something:) .
Or a 5970 i think will do.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 10:16:54 AM

Well actually the OP is using a notebook so he can't upgrade the VGA
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 1:31:56 PM

Yeah you can play at medium settings at 720p maybe.....
m
l
April 7, 2010 3:05:08 PM

Actually, he showed all his graphics and resolution settings before he started. He did have shadows turned down and 1 or 2 things set to Gamer but other that that he was running full. I still don't know how he was doing it, I guess it'll remain a mystery. He did have it sitting on a Cooler and said that that increased his fps alot. I've asked him to put it back up but I don't know if he will or not.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 3:09:15 PM

Putting a cooler helps when a component is overheating but it will never make it run Crysis with those settings
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 3:28:32 PM

CoolyHaloGmr29528 said:
Actually, he showed all his graphics and resolution settings before he started. He did have shadows turned down and 1 or 2 things set to Gamer but other that that he was running full. I still don't know how he was doing it, I guess it'll remain a mystery. He did have it sitting on a Cooler and said that that increased his fps alot. I've asked him to put it back up but I don't know if he will or not.

m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 3:40:27 PM

CoolyHaloGmr29528 said:

Hey, its not that the 4670 can not "run" crysis it can, but only at low/medium settings. The 4670 isn’t a powerful video card, its the bare minimum. To put it simply the 4670 is at least 20%slower than the (midrange, not high end) 8800 GT which came out almost 4 years ago (2006)

I not get me wrong, I believe you "saw" a video on YouTube, but you have to remember that those guys on YouTube videos rarely ever show the frame rate of the game and they are usually cherry picked i.e. run on smaller levels with less AI going on. If you read "professional reviews you can see the 4670 is nothing special.

Ideally to run Crysis at high (not very high) at reasonable frame rates you'd need at least a 4830/4850/4770/5750/5770 range of video card. Ideally you should be looking at the 58xx if your budget allows if you want any shot at very high settings.

BTW here are some screenshots.

And..

Bare in mind that the 4870X2 which is winning these benchmarks is 2 years old

m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 3:47:34 PM

How look how poorly the 4670 performs once the "newer" video cards are in the chart...

I think you get my point :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 5:31:51 PM

And 4670M performs lower than a desktop 4670 too(it performs somehow like a desktop 4650)
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 6:01:23 PM

The 4670M might do 1024x768 fine on medium settings, but ultra high would be a slide show. For the CPU, get an i7-930 instead. As for the GPU, You are going to need at least a Radeon 5870 and that's without AA or AF. Even then you will likely get some slow down at the ultra high settings in some areas. If you want to use AA and AF, you are looking at a multi-GPU setup.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 6:50:01 PM

megaman the OP is asking about a laptop and i7 930 is a desktop CPU,so its not possible to use it on that laptop
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 7:14:26 PM

^ Ah, good point. I realize the folly of my follies :D . Forgot we were talking about a laptop here. Anyway......

Yeah the 4670M isn't gonna be good for Crysis. If you already have the laptop, well I guess there isn't much you can do. If you're still ordering it, then consider upgrading the graphics options. If it offers a 5870M (basically the same as a desktop 5770) then go with that instead. Still won't reach ultra high comfortably, but high settings should generally be o.k.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 7:44:55 PM

Good luck getting a laptop to run crysis at full and be playable while not melting the laptop to your table/legs (laptops that can run HOT). Maybe you should use a different game as the 'benchmark' you want your laptop at. Crysis is still among the hardest games to render, especially with AA going.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 8:25:47 PM

The only card that can play Crysis @ 1080p at UltraHigh would be the 5970. - with ~40fps average.

The 5870 and GTX480 can play it at 1080p @ UltraHigh with maybe ~30fps average, which is borderline playable.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:29:41 PM

Crysis isn't really a very fun game, anyway. It doesn't deserve to be the primary concern of any gamer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 8:35:47 PM

yeah i can ply warhead on my 5870 at 1920*1200 at ultrahigh 4xaa, but there are slow downs at places, so i had to run it with no aa and that made it 100% playable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2010 10:30:37 PM

Dekasav said:
Crysis isn't really a very fun game, anyway. It doesn't deserve to be the primary concern of any gamer.

You have a super suit and enough armament to take on a small nation. You can throw a man into the air and take shots on his way down. You can see that sea turtles are allergic to water. I fail to see how you view it as not a very fun game. True, it's not so awesome that it should be the primary concern of any gamer, but it's still fun.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 12, 2010 10:56:43 PM

Dekasav said:

Ok, let me get this straight:
-you posted on this thread not to help the OP or give valid advice
-you posted in order to say something that is your opinion and could cause flaming?

megamanx00 ignore him.

Anyway, I'm not sure about youtube videos but most movies are rendered at 24FPS so the guy couldn't really show more than that even if he wanted to. I don't trust youtube videos anyway as evidence of performance of hardware. You are looking at the higher chips on this list for playing crysis on ultra. And definitely not with AA:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benc...

Crysis is one of the few games where I will accept the framerate dropping below 60FPS and going as low as 30 because I still want it to look decently pretty.
m
l
April 13, 2010 12:10:34 AM

Didn't mean to bait or anything, I just see a lot of new people are always saying, "I need a rig to play Crysis 'cause it's the best!!!11" and I wanted him to know that if a rig can't play Crysis maxed it's not the end of the world. And since he has a laptop, I figured it was pretty clear there was nothing we could really do to "help" him. It was obvious by the time I posted that it was "get a new laptop" or "No, you can't run it maxed."
m
l
April 13, 2010 4:07:17 AM

That's true, but for me 24 fps with those kinda settings on a laptop is manageable, lol. Thanks every body for who contributed a post. I think I realize that I still want this laptop even though it can't be a super comp. and run crysis on ultra it can run pretty much any other game on high(the games that count at least i.e. assassin's creed for me:D ). I think i'll close the thread now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2010 5:38:56 AM

One last comment... Laptops have their own uses and that is portability. It can be used for games, why not, but not at the same levels as desktop cans. Even the insanely priced Alienware can be beaten by midrange desktops at less than half the price of those.

At 15.6" you do not really need 1920x1080 since the pixels are really too small to matter. If you have the option to reduce the resolution to 1366x768 then you can get higher fps and therefore better gameplay.

m
l
April 13, 2010 6:40:05 AM

The Dell Studio XPS 16 runs super hot too (trust me, I'm typing on one right now). I love my XPS 16, but it can't handle anything without reaching blazing temps. Now mine is a bit older and it's cheaper than what you're looking at (mine is HD 3670). But this computer has heat issues when you push it hard, and it looks like you're planning to push it. It's a great computer with an amazing screen and can play mid level games for a little while. But I'd go desktop if you want to play serious games without being held back :) 
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:47:55 AM

Does your computer have a 6 cell or a 9 cell battery? The reason I ask is because I hear the 9 cell battery provides better air circulation that the 6 cell. And even if it does run "hot" this issue for some people never seemed to be a problem for me. Thanks for the input though.
m
l
!