Question about 2xDS + 2xSS on Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L

Emiya Shirou

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
My Mobo is Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L

I have 2 slots of DS(double sided) ram on this mobo (1gb each) can i stick 2 more but SS (Single Sided)? so there will be

Slot1: 1gb DS
slot2: 1gb SS

Slot3: 1gb DS
Slot4: 1gb SS

i know that this mainboard don't support 4xDS thats why i'm asking because i would like to have more ram like 3 or 4 GB. How can i make a 4gb or at last 3gb to work here with the current 2x1GB DS i have?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Should work fine as long as the memory you are installing is compatible. What you are doing is fairly common. Keep in mind that when you mix/match memory, the system will default to the speed of the slower of the two. You should see no difference, but something to be aware of.

Good luck!

Emiya Shirou

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

I know that i can't set 4x1GB DS ram to this main-board because of some chipset limitations and stuff...

But now it's good to know i can put my old 2x1GB Double Sided ram with new one (i will buy it) 2x1GB Single Sided ^-^ I know that 4x1GB DS won't work here and system will freeze and stuff, but it's good to know i can still use 4GB by using my old ram + new one SS, and it will work ^-^

As for compatibility, what exactly do you mean by compatible? Because there are some meaning to it that i can't guess...

My actual ram is Kingmax DoubleSided with something like 1066 MHz. Also i know i cant populate one dimm slot with 2GB of ram, only 1GB ones are working(well mainly because the mainboard supports only GB of ram max...) Additional question to this, do I need to put the same 1066 MHz ram, or it could be for example 800 MHz one?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Sometimes different memory makers will make conflicting memory modules that will not work well together, therefore they are incompatible. It doesn't happen very often.

If you mix 800 and 1066 memory, the system will run all of the memory at 800Mhz (least common denominator). You will see no appreciable (noticeable) difference in performance.

Emiya Shirou

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Mhm~~ Hmm... I hope that i will come onto Compatible Memory then D: As of speed in MHz, just as i thought. I will aim on to get 1066 MHz ones but i wonder if i will get them i a good price :/

Emiya Shirou

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
btw. thought it would be preferable to get 1066 MHz for my since my system is Overclocked already...
(again can't edit post...)

Emiya Shirou

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Well for now I'm not using all of 1066 of my memory, as you got in bios always default 800 i got it set on about 850 MHz as of now. Anyway Thx! Hope that it will work, because memory those days are expensive :/

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood. I agree, memory can be expensive. I recommend you set everyhint to 800 when you install the new memory. After you have a good stable system, you can then attempt to bump the speeds up.

bromax333

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
On that mobo works fine 2modules of 2GB 1066 MHZ( even if u make an Oc)
for example 2 kingmax , kingston , corsair, etc