Sign in with
Your question

Best gaming computer for 1900 $

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2010 12:44:09 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In about 1 month. BUDGET RANGE: From 1600 to 1900 dollars.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, maybe for some music programs as well (pro tools).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Everythin but the machine itself. All the other stuff ill figure out by myself - that means monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound system, etc.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.edbpriser.dk, www.newegg.com - on edbpriser its all in danish kroner, so prolly a bit difficult for yo, anyways 100 dollars is around 530 kroner just to give you an idea. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: DENMARK

PARTS PREFERENCES: an Intel Core i7-920 processor and ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard for making it more futureproof (6-core processors etc.) Also, the OCZ platinum 3x2 memory seems to work pretty well with the previous 2.

OVERCLOCKING: Definitely, though i´ll have to learn how, i´ll get to that later.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: want a pc with tons of power. Would be great if it could last a bit in the future as well and not be rendered obsolete in 6 months. If the preferred parts i´ve mentioned won´t work for any of those reasons, disregard them. Cooling is important as well, and if i can get a silent machine without spending too much on it that would be preferred.

Ill be using Windows 7 btw. :) 

Thanks everybody! =)

More about : gaming computer 1900

February 1, 2010 1:28:29 PM

It's retarded to think that X58 will be more future-proof than P55 or any other Intel chipsets. Do you have any idea how much 6-core will cost? Will you even have that budget? I doubt it. Not for 99% of computer users. Unless Intel is retarded, they will have no choice but to bow down to consumer demand which is LGA 1156 - the most popular Intel socket. Then again, bigwigs can and will make mistakes. *cough* Japanese #1 car maker & airline *cough*

What games or kinds of games do you play?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 1, 2010 1:38:07 PM

To start, allocate some of the budget for a 1900x monitor. Running a $1,600 machine on that resolution is a waste.

I'm with p55ibexpeak on ditching the X58. The P55 will be a much better gaming platform for much less.

Here's what I recommend:

CPU: i5-750 $200
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190
RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
Case: HAF 922 $90
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $25
PSU: SeaSonic 850W $110
GPU: HD 5970 $650
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 $30

Total: $1,460. Leaves some cash for a good monitor. If you really want a future proof board and CPU, go with an AM3 build (which won't be as powerful right now).
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2010 9:09:53 PM

@p55ibexpeak:
i admit i am a total beginner when it comes to these things - i only stated what i did based on what i read other places. Since i made this thread however i quickly realized your point - the 6-cores will indeed be outta my league. However, i´m still thinking about going with the x58 but waiting until the i7-930 comes out by the end of this month (hopefully). Would you still think that to be a mistake compared to a p55 build?

I don´t know exactly what games i´ll be playing, only that i want to be able to play the newest stuff on highest settings and preferrably still be able to do that in 6moths-a year or so.
Anyways, thanks MadAdmiral for your suggestions - a lot of the stuff you mentioned i was already considering, though obviously not the CPU/mobo.
Anyways, here´s what i´m thinking about for my i7-930 build, please tell me (once again) if you think it´s completely retarded:

CPU: Intel i7-930 (around 300 $ i´d think)
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium 310 $
HDD: Seagate 712.12 1 TB 60 $
Optical: Samsung DVD-burner 25$
PSU: Either Corsair HX850W (170$) or SeaSonic 850W (110$)
GPU: HD 5970 650$
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 30$

total: 1685$ or 1745$ depending on the PSU.

oh, and by the way, i´ll be getting a bigger monitor as soon as possible, but the computer comes first. I can live with playing on a smaller screen for a month until i can buy a big one.
m
l
February 2, 2010 12:51:32 PM

Not a mistake, but a misuse of money. The i7 shines in video/audio encoding/converting. Now if you don't mind a cheap X58 mobo w/o USB 3 & SATA 6, and pick up i7 920 for $200 at microcenter, then it's a good use of money. That would cost about the same as i5 750 + P55 at regular prices.

I'm with MadAdmiral on getting a big monitor. See, the whole point of upgrading gpus is to play 'em on bigger screens. The HD 5970 will be another misuse of money. Like you buy 2 cars, you drive only one of 'em all the time.

You WON'T see any major improvement on the new rig as you'll be playing on the same old 1050 monitor. To top that off, you're getting last-gen storage. SSD is a must for that budget.

You will feel like you're side-grading rather upgrading after you game on the old monitor.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 2, 2010 1:34:49 PM

Most everything p55 said is absolutely true. Putting the monitor aside, the difference between my build and yours is that mine has the same performance for under $1,500 and your's is just under $1,700.

The points I disagree on is the 5970 being a waste (on a 1900x monitor). Yes, it is very expensive, but it will never need to be upgraded. You could even use Eyefinity (3 monitors as one) and it would be fine. It's not so much a choice because it's needed, but one because it's the most economical way to upgrade. That said, I wouldn't worry about stepping down to an HD 5870 and losing performance.

The other point of contention is the SSD. I personally think they're too expensive and still haven't been perfected, thus I don't recommend them. It's also something that will be easy to upgrade to later, so why buy it at a huge premium while it's still having the kinks worked out? I would stick the 5970 in a build before the SSD, mainly because the SSD won't improve in-game performance. It will just make booting up and loading programs extremely fast.

Then again, with my build, you have enough room for both a good monitor AND a SSD with the $1,900 budget.
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:32:24 PM

djjohn8 said:
@p55ibexpeak:
i admit i am a total beginner when it comes to these things - i only stated what i did based on what i read other places. Since i made this thread however i quickly realized your point - the 6-cores will indeed be outta my league. However, i´m still thinking about going with the x58 but waiting until the i7-930 comes out by the end of this month (hopefully). Would you still think that to be a mistake compared to a p55 build?

I don´t know exactly what games i´ll be playing, only that i want to be able to play the newest stuff on highest settings and preferrably still be able to do that in 6moths-a year or so.
Anyways, thanks MadAdmiral for your suggestions - a lot of the stuff you mentioned i was already considering, though obviously not the CPU/mobo.
Anyways, here´s what i´m thinking about for my i7-930 build, please tell me (once again) if you think it´s completely retarded:

oh, and by the way, i´ll be getting a bigger monitor as soon as possible, but the computer comes first. I can live with playing on a smaller screen for a month until i can buy a big one.

m
l
February 2, 2010 2:33:39 PM

Seems to me the cheapest way to future proof any machine is to stick with a smaller monitor; the GPU might be a "waste" right now, but in a year you will still be able to play on max graphics at that smaller resolution. If you are really concerned with future proofing, it's something to consider. Do you really, REALLY need that bigger screen? Worth asking..
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:42:20 PM

djjohn8 said:
@p55ibexpeak:

Hi:) 
I just want to share what I built last Jan 31'10. I am very happy with it. But I never OC or play games. I will just use it internet browsing, photo edingt, spreadsheet, music, solitaire, email. I use it now on distributed computing. WCG & R@H, All 8 threads are running 8 wu with Vista
1) intelCore i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model $289
2)Kingston 4GB DDR3 (2 X 2GB) 1600MHz CL8 240-PIN DIMM, DUAL HYPERX $110 3)Zalman CNPS10X Quiet CPU Cooler $60
4)COOLMAX 700W ATX CU-700B 120 SILENT FAN, SEMI MODULAR CABLES $65 5)OEM RADEON 4650 ATI RADEON 4650 DDR2 1GB VA4652NHG1 $80, My total cost=$840
I re-used my old CASE, 2 hdd with existing Vista ult & Win 7 rc, dvd-rw. In my first boot, every thing works except that I have to update both OS. Updating was automatic for each OS. With Vista OS, I activated it by phone and explained to Microsoft rep, that I just updated my old cpu&mobo to Intel core i7 860 &mb-MSI P55 gd65. My system was activated ok. Runs very cool.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 2, 2010 3:07:04 PM

Ok, future proofing is a silly concept. Intel moves so fast ANYTHING you buy today will be 1 generation behind in less than a year, and in 2 years won't even be mainstream anymore.

Same with GPU's. What you care about is how a system performs today, and if you're getting best performance for your money today.

IF you always want a top of the line system. Build a new one every year, sell your old one for most of the initial build money back. More cost efficient than building a new PC every 3-4 years and you always have the best.
m
l
February 3, 2010 6:33:13 AM

Allright, thanks a lot for all the responses peeps. Dunno entirely what i'll be doing yet, but i'll give it a month or so (hopefully Intels new line will be out by then) and see what happens with the prices on the i7's... If nothing too big, i'll prolly go for the P55/i5 build though considering what you guys are telling me.

I know that the SSD is soon becoming somewhat essential for gaming pc's, but i still think i'd rather spend my money on a better GPU/mobo-cpu combo for the time being, until the SSDs can be made with more storage space available (and hopefully at a cheaper price). At this time i don't really think the price matches the benefits for me personally.

About the monitor - as i stated earlier - i'll definitely get a new one as soon as i can afford it, but my top priority as of now is just to get a good machine. After another months salary, i'll easily be able to throw in a monitor as well...

@ banthracis: I guess that buying a "cheap" but capable machine once in a while is indeed a way of futureproofing... Didnt consider that alternative really, but it makes more sense than blowing craploads right now in hoping that i'll still have a top-of-the-line computer in a year or so (wont happen, of course).

m
l
October 11, 2012 5:09:56 AM

*** THE FOURM
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:10:13 AM

*** THE FOURM
m
l
!