Partition question - 3TB Seagate HD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Partition
  • Seagate
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2012 12:13:24 PM

I've built a new system with 2 - 3TB Seagate HDDs and ran into multiple problems. I have had to accept certain shortcomings with drives this large even though I've built in on an Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/GEN3 with latest BIOS. As you may know, the drive I installed Window 7 64-bit Home Premium only formatted 2.2GB of the 3TB drive and left ~ 764GB Unallocated. How do I get access to that 764GB as Intel RST (Version 10.8 latest) tells me the two drives are operating properly and have 2,861,XXX available bytes, but Device Manager as well as My Computer do not show it?

More about : partition question 3tb seagate

January 30, 2012 2:57:14 PM

maybe Windows Home Premium is not the solution for 3 TB, try Windows Proffesional or Ultimate.
m
l
January 30, 2012 3:31:58 PM

That's not what I was hoping to get as a reply.....

Any other thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2012 4:36:32 PM

Won't that wipe out everything on the drive including the OS that I installed? I'm a bit confused. Will I then be able to re-install on the newly created GPT disk?
m
l
a c 427 G Storage
January 30, 2012 5:36:30 PM

You need to use GPT partitions for drives over 2TB.

Q. Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

A. Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg4635...
m
l
January 30, 2012 6:05:37 PM

But will this wipe out the disk as if I never installed on it?
m
l
a c 427 G Storage
January 30, 2012 6:10:45 PM

Yes, if you already partitioned it as an MBR partition which only supports up to ~2TB, you will lose your data when converting to GPT.
m
l
January 30, 2012 6:42:19 PM

OK. I think I'm getting it but not quite. I know I need to have the disk drive formatted to GPT prior to loading my OS. As I already loaded my OS onto an MBR partitioned drive, I want to be able to wipe it completely clean, partition it as GPT and then reboot off the CD and re-install. Is that correct?

So how do I wipe the disk clean and then set it up as GPT?
m
l
a c 427 G Storage
January 30, 2012 7:03:06 PM

You can always stick the drive in another windows machine and use diskpart.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

I'm not sure if win 7 allows you to partition using gpt during the install, but normally during the install you will come to a point where it will allow you to create/delete partitions and format the drive if necessary. if it allows GPT partitions, just delete all partitions on the drive and create your new partitions.
m
l
January 31, 2012 10:03:30 PM

Ended up going to Seagate DiskWizard to allocate the remaining .8TB - system shows it as a seperate Disk, but that's no big deal. So I have three drives; 2.2TB, .8TB & 3TB. but I'm still not happy I never heard back from Asus on RAID array issue.
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:29:59 AM

vin_g said:
I've built a new system with 2 - 3TB Seagate HDDs and ran into multiple problems. I have had to accept certain shortcomings with drives this large even though I've built in on an Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/GEN3 with latest BIOS. As you may know, the drive I installed Window 7 64-bit Home Premium only formatted 2.2GB of the 3TB drive and left ~ 764GB Unallocated. How do I get access to that 764GB as Intel RST (Version 10.8 latest) tells me the two drives are operating properly and have 2,861,XXX available bytes, but Device Manager as well as My Computer do not show it?

m
l