Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with OC'ing 965 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:02:38 AM

I have a MSI motherboard that supports the OC Genie technology, and when I use it, it overclocks my CPU to 3.9 and stock is 3.4, and it OC my RAM as well. I dont want my RAM OC I just want my CPU I decided to just OC it myself to about 3.6 3.7. Everytime I BLUE SCREEN. I increase the FSB to increase the speed on the processor. Im new to it so I dont really know what I'm doing so I havent messed with things to much. I do have a lot of knowledge with computers just not OC. If anyone can help me with how to OC correctly it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

More about : ing 965

October 3, 2012 9:55:26 AM

+1 Henydiah
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:20:06 PM

henydiah said:
don't use OC Genie or soft AOD / or auto Tune or or .. read this guide do it manual from bios very safe,
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-editi...

Its very helpful so far, I've came to a part where I dont know what it is. It says to increase the Multiplier so would that the the FSB or ? and also it says to boot into OP/SYS what is that ?
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 5:29:07 PM

forget FSB just try use multi .. succesfull boot system without BSOD i think .. do it step by step .. keep as posible in low vcore ( cpu voltage)
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:31:48 PM

Ill post a pic of what my BIOS looks like I dont see a multiplier.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:36:10 PM

henydiah said:
forget FSB just try use multi .. succesfull boot system without BSOD i think .. do it step by step .. keep as posible in low vcore ( cpu voltage)

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:43:04 PM

henydiah said:

Ok I figured it out. Now I should just run Prime95 for a little and see if its good right ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:46:13 PM

You will want to change the "ADJUST CPU RATIO" to MANUAL and the change the multiplier number up to 18 for 3.6GHz; 19 for 3.8GHz; 20 for 4.0GHz. You will also have to increase the CPU-NB Ratio, change to manual and set it to 13 (2600MHz).

You will have to increase your CPU voltage a little bit try 1.425 Vcore on CPU tryto boot, and GOOD LUCK!

Fungi
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:48:35 PM

funguseater said:
You will want to change the "ADJUST CPU RATIO" to MANUAL and the change the multiplier number up to 18 for 3.6GHz; 19 for 3.8GHz; 20 for 4.0GHz. You will also have to increase the CPU-NB Ratio, change to manual and set it to 13 (2600MHz).

You will have to increase your CPU voltage a little bit try 1.425 Vcore on CPU tryto boot, and GOOD LUCK!

Fungi

yeah I found that out, I havent increased the voltage yet, Im running prime95 right now its on test 3 been running for about 5-7 mins. How long should I let it run to know its stable ? so I need to increase the northbridge when overclocking CPU ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:53:59 PM

funguseater said:

Fungi

Also my CPU now runs at a constant 120w on idle. Is that normal ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:07:35 PM

If you have turned off Cool'n Quiet then the CPU will run at max frequency all the time, if your getting that number from CPU-z then yeah its normal. As for Prime95 10-12 hours will give you the results you need for AMD CPUs. If your system is just for gaming and you dont mind the occasional reboot/bluescreen then you can test for shorter periods of time but you may compromise video encoding ability (may encode errors).

Overclocking the Northbridge will make for a more stable system, AMD systems are very balance oriented, I also overclock my Hypertransport to the same as the Northbridge and the higher you can get the northbridge the more memory performance you will get, I find 2600 about perfect for my systems.
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 6:09:56 PM

^^+1 agree in above .. i think you need find first stable overclock with default voltage and than keep setting at profile #1. i don't know . how high you can get clock speed with this voltage maybe 3.6 - 38 ghz or more ??? ..... this is important for next step to go 4ghz good luck bro :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:23:25 PM

henydiah said:
^^+1 agree in above .. i think you need find first stable overclock with default voltage and than keep setting at profile #1. i don't know . how high you can get clock speed with this voltage maybe 3.6 - 38 ghz or more ??? ..... this is important for next step to go 4ghz good luck bro :D 

I only wanted a 3.7 to 3.9 OC I have the cooling for 4.0 I just dont need that much power. I have it OC to 3.7 right now, with default voltage. Which is like 1.4 volts or something like that. I probably could try 4.0 just to see. I ran prime95 for about 10-15 mins everything passed then I played about 20 mins of CS:GO while livestreaming and nothing has happened yet. Thanks to the both of you for the help. Ill increase the NB to 2600 as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:31:16 PM

Yeah OC'ing past 3.8 doesn't seem to do much anyway for my tests but OC'ing the northbridge had HUGE results in memory read/write speeds. Have fun

Fungi
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:33:05 PM

funguseater said:
Yeah OC'ing past 3.8 doesn't seem to do much anyway for my tests but OC'ing the northbridge had HUGE results in memory read/write speeds. Have fun

Fungi

A little help I tried 2400 on the NB, it blue screens going loading the desktop, does that mean I should increase the voltage of the RAM or lower the operating speed of the RAM ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:35:09 PM

funguseater said:

Fungi

I didnt mean voltage of RAM i meant voltage of the NB sorry.
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 7:05:43 PM

forget NB or ht link also fsb focus at stable CPU first
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 11:15:50 PM

Sorry, just got back...

If you have a stable CPU clock at 3.7 or whatever your goal is, then you will probly need to increase the CPU-NB voltage DON'T GO OVER 1.3v to be safe, start around 1.25v(worked for me), you really don't need to go higher than 2400 at 3.8GHz.

You don't need to mess with the Ram OC as long as you can get 1600MHz all is good.

Have you read this http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-ph... its full of good info.

Increasing the CPU-NB will also increase the Heat from the CPU so make sure your cooling is up to the task !

Fungi
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 12:43:14 AM

I have a stable OC right now at 3.8ghz. I have the cooler master hyper 212+ cooler with a antec eleven hundred case with the 2 fans in the front back and top 200mm fans and a 120mm fan on the cpu side that blows on the back of the motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 3:04:39 AM

funguseater said:
Sorry, just got back...

If you have a stable CPU clock at 3.7 or whatever your goal is, then you will probly need to increase the CPU-NB voltage DON'T GO OVER 1.3v to be safe, start around 1.25v(worked for me), you really don't need to go higher than 2400 at 3.8GHz.

You don't need to mess with the Ram OC as long as you can get 1600MHz all is good.

Have you read this http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-ph... its full of good info.

Increasing the CPU-NB will also increase the Heat from the CPU so make sure your cooling is up to the task !

Fungi

Ive noticed that my OC goes down really low, to like 3.2 ghz then back up to 3.8 when playing games, does in increase with more load is that why it does that ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2012 3:43:49 AM

Make sure you have C1E, cool n quiet, and CPU spread spectrum disabled until you have found your stable clocks. Also set the power management in windows to performance mode. This will force your computer to stay at max clocks all the time ie idle and load situations.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 4:59:49 AM

mlcaouette said:
Make sure you have C1E, cool n quiet, and CPU spread spectrum disabled until you have found your stable clocks. Also set the power management in windows to performance mode. This will force your computer to stay at max clocks all the time ie idle and load situations.

Its weird, when idle it stays at 3.8 when playing games it goes all over the place. What is C1E and CPU spread spectrum i dont see an option for that ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 5:05:28 AM

I found C1E but not spectrum
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2012 6:03:46 AM

Here is a thread about spread spectrum:
http://www.overclock.net/t/542538/cpu-spread-spectrum

If you made sure all the other things I mentioned are off and the windows power management is set correctly than you processor freq. should be staying the same with little to no variance.

Perhaps it is throttling due to heat?? What are your load temps under LinX or prime95 large FFTs (after about ten mins)?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 6:36:24 AM

mlcaouette said:
Here is a thread about spread spectrum:
http://www.overclock.net/t/542538/cpu-spread-spectrum

If you made sure all the other things I mentioned are off and the windows power management is set correctly than you processor freq. should be staying the same with little to no variance.

Perhaps it is throttling due to heat?? What are your load temps under LinX or prime95 large FFTs (after about ten mins)?

Yeah it still does it I have everything you guys said turned off. The highest Ive seen it go was about 53C for 12 mins on prime 95
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2012 8:51:10 PM

Is that core temp or cpu case temp? Are you using the latest bios for your M/B? While under prime95 load does the frequency stay constant (by constant I mean less than +-100Mhz of variance)?

Otherwise I don't know what to tell you. The few items I listed are the only things that should affect CPU operating frequency.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2012 9:12:58 PM

mlcaouette said:
Is that core temp or cpu case temp? Are you using the latest bios for your M/B? While under prime95 load does the frequency stay constant (by constant I mean less than +-100Mhz of variance)?

Otherwise I don't know what to tell you. The few items I listed are the only things that should affect CPU operating frequency.

Core temp, no I am not using the lastest bios. I actually havent checked to see if it did, even at stock speeds and everything set to default it still throttles, so i dont know what it is
m
l
!