I/O Not lining up for mouse/keyboard input

robjl

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
So I've got a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R going into an Antec 902 case and so far so good except I can't get the mouse and keyboard inputs to show through the I/O holes
mobo.jpg

Everything else seems good, but I don't want to screw it down all the way yet since I'll need the keyboard obviously on startup.

robjl

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

The case already had 6 standoffs pre-installed, I didn't remove any.

Just removed the i/o shield and I'm just looking at it sitting in there, the corner with the mouse and keyboard input is definitely bent upwards slightly. Damnit. Can I just run it without the shield or should I be worried about a defective board before I start it up?

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Almost all cases come standard with 6 pre-installed standoffs, but it is up to the builder to determine the correct location and number for their build. Based on the pictures I can see of the motherboard on Newegg it looks like there are holes for 9 standoffs. Easist way to count is to turn the board over and look for the holes. Make sure that you have all of these installed and in the correct locations in the case.

Also check and see if the feet of CPU heat sink fan are contacting the case and deflecting the board at the edge.

If I were you I'd take the board out, set it on the static wrap and look at it edge on. If the board is warped, then I'd RMA it. Boards are designed to be flat, a curve in the board indicates a problem. It isn't worth trying to use a board that may cause problems. Surges and hot spots would be the biggest concern. Is it worth risking your CPU, video card and RAM?

If none of these things appear to be happening try and get some photos from the inside of the rig.

robjl

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

I started it up with no problem yesterday, ran it for awhile while windows installed and then took it apart again to check the standoff placement and inspected the mobo on the desk. The board does appear to have a warped edge, just the edge with the i/o connections.

Everything else seems fine, I was able to install the cpu and heatsink with no problems. It's legs are locked into the board and nothing is touching the case. Everything else sits without issue. It's been running well while I've installed drivers at least, I havn't run any stress tests to see how it handles loads so I can't speak on the heat yet.

I was very concerned up front but now that I see it runs without a hitch I stopped worrying about it, I'm just keeping the i/o shield off so I can access the keyboard/mouse but maybe I should be worried about future problems.

I'll get some photos of it's placement in the case tonight to make sure nothing looks suspect, thanks for the suggestion.