Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Computer
  • Cable
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2012 2:21:53 PM

I have purchased a sata/ide convertor to attempt to run an older hard drive in my computer to recover old files.

The device powers on correctly and cables are plugged in snug. I have rebooted with a couple of different scenarios so far.

1. With the Sata cable plugged into port1 with the pin for slave and then again for cs
2. With the Sata cable plugged into port2 with pin for CS, since this was reccommended in another post. Yes I tuned on the port to in the utility settings, some how I managed to remember.

Other than that I do not know where to go next with this. Thanks for any advice

More about : ide sata converter computer doesnt harddrive

a c 130 G Storage
January 30, 2012 9:22:48 PM

Make sure the master/slave setting is set to the right one for the converter. Failing that, try a different brand of converter, or try an external USB enclosure. The enclosure will probably work much more reliably.
m
l
February 9, 2012 12:43:45 AM

I would try a external USB but then it will ask me to reformat the harddrive. I'm attempting to save the old pictures and other files on there. :( 
m
l
a c 365 G Storage
February 9, 2012 1:01:50 AM

I gather this is an adapter that allows you to connect an IDE HDD to a SATA port. In that case I expect that the IDE drive's jumper should be set to MASTER, which you report you have not tried. In general, any IDE port MUST have a Master device to operate. Even if this HDD in the ONLY device on the IDE port created by this adapter, the port needs a Master. Maybe setting the drive to CS is insufficient.
m
l
!