Sign in with
Your question

Scrambled graphics with an HP DV2775 Laptop

Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2010 9:48:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm facing with my 3 year old laptop.

The following problem(s) started cropping up about 2 months back:
1) Sometimes the laptop boots OK but then after a period of time the screen becomes scrambled and even the mouse is unresponsive (from a few second to a few hours of use).
2) Using graphics intensive software doesn't seem to give a consistent problem as against just using say Explorer.
3) Sometimes I get just a blank screen on booting.
4) I have also seen the 'blue screen of death' once in awhile but cannot read the text as it's scrambled.
In general the screen appears like it's suffering from massive interference when it goes 'berserk'.
5) I have run diagnostics on the RAM and HD but all passed 'OK'.

When the problem started I sent the laptop for service (I assumed the cooling fan may be running slowly) and had a new HD installed. The original OS was Win Vista Home but I installed Win 7 Pro on the new, larger HD.
I have also installed the latest GPU drivers from NVidia - to no avail.
The Laptop ran OK for about 1 month but now the problem is starting again, but even worse.
I downloaded and ran NVidia's Service software and monitor the temperature of the two CPUs, HD and also the GPU (Nvidia 6400). The CPUs and HD run at around 45°C whilst the GPU hovers at around 55 to 65°C.

The tech back-up here in Kuwait (I'm an expat) is pretyy lousy so I'm in a quandry of what to do. My guess is a dry solder point on the motherboard/GPU connection but I'm no expert.
Anyone else have any suggestions of where to look for the problem?

Also, anyone know if the NVidia 6400 is 'plug in' or directly soldered to the MB?
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2010 10:40:36 AM

It could be a problem with the GeForce 6400. nVidia & HP it seems especially had a run in with poor soldering. There should be a few articles on the net but I'm not 100% sure.
September 2, 2010 2:17:23 PM

Lmeow said:
It could be a problem with the GeForce 6400. nVidia & HP it seems especially had a run in with poor soldering. There should be a few articles on the net but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the reply! Certainly seems that there's a problem with the NVidia/MB, in countless other HP notebooks anyway, according to the Web.
Guess I'll open it up and try resoldering the connections and see what happens.
If not successful then the HP goes on the scrap heap and it's my last HP product (have had countless problems with their printers over the last 5 years too - and I used to swear by HP .....)
Related resources
September 2, 2010 2:23:31 PM

I would go to HP's website and check to see if your laptop is one of those that had the faulty NVIDIA graphics cards. Yo can enter the serial number and model number.
September 2, 2010 2:29:52 PM

Something else to check is the ribbon and wires that feed the screen via a connector located under the speaker cover over the keyboard. The cable/ribbon on my wife's HP laptop was actually being pinched by the left side hinge and displaying the same issues you are describing. Changed out that cable/ribbon and her Hp went back to running fine. Just one more thought before the scrap heap, hope it may help.

Sincerely,

Third Darkness
!