Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

thin & light recommendation?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 6, 2004 7:02:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,
It looks like my Averatec 3150H will always be plagued by thermal issues,
and I need to replace it.

What do people recommend for thin and light laptops? My basic requirements
are:

* No more than about 4.5lbs and 1.4" thickness when closed.
* Must have built-in optical drive
* Small screen is actually preferred, I like the 12.1" on the Averatec
* Built-in ethernet and (hopefully) wireless

Not too picky about CPU speed, and as long as I can at least upgrade to
512MB or more RAM, I'll be happy.

So other than Averatec, what do people recommend?

thanks,
Jonathan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2004 6:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Fujitsu P Series.



dk

"Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
news:EaCdneSBc4bnSI7cRVn-vg@speakeasy.net...
> Hi,
> It looks like my Averatec 3150H will always be plagued by thermal issues,
> and I need to replace it.
>
> What do people recommend for thin and light laptops? My basic
requirements
> are:
>
> * No more than about 4.5lbs and 1.4" thickness when closed.
> * Must have built-in optical drive
> * Small screen is actually preferred, I like the 12.1" on the Averatec
> * Built-in ethernet and (hopefully) wireless
>
> Not too picky about CPU speed, and as long as I can at least upgrade to
> 512MB or more RAM, I'll be happy.
>
> So other than Averatec, what do people recommend?
>
> thanks,
> Jonathan
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2004 8:26:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:02:26 -0400, "Jonathan"
<jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>What do people recommend for thin and light laptops? My basic requirements
>are:

IBM ThinkPad T40/41/42 would mostly fit the bill.

>* No more than about 4.5lbs and 1.4" thickness when closed.

It's 4.9 lbs (2.22 kg) with optical drive (which is removable) and
1.0-1.2" (26.6-31.4 mm) thick.

>* Must have built-in optical drive

There's one. You can also put a range of accessories in the Ultrabay
Slim: 2nd HDD, 2nd battery etc.

>* Small screen is actually preferred, I like the 12.1" on the Averatec

Display size is actually 14.1". If you want 12.1", consider the X40
(2.7 lbs / 0.81-1.06") or the X31 (3.6 lbs / 0.98-1.19"). I'd
personally prefer the X31, because of it features a standard 2.5" HDD
(the X40 has an 1.8" HDD). In fact, I'm the happy owner of an X31 ;-)

>* Built-in ethernet and (hopefully) wireless

Goes without saying. Some models even have gigabit Ethernet and
802.11a/b/g wireless (and Bluetooth too).

>Not too picky about CPU speed, and as long as I can at least upgrade to
>512MB or more RAM, I'll be happy.

Will max out to 2 GB (T4x & X31) or 1.5 GB (X40). They all feature a
Pentium M (= low heat, low noise, long battery life).

>So other than Averatec, what do people recommend?

Never heard about Averatec, but I only have good things to say about
IBM (satisfied user of their laptops since 1996).

Cheers, Dominique
Related resources
August 9, 2004 1:48:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hmmm, I've never heard of Portable One before. One of my big concerns is
reliability, as I've recently been burned by buying a cheaper brand to save
some dough. How does the UX hold up? Are there any long-term reviews of
it? On the surface, it sure does look like a nice machine though.

thanks,
Jonathan


"JCBlueEyes" <jcblueeyes@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040808151002.12055.00003440@mb-m01.aol.com...
> Take a look at Portable 1's new offering the UX. Basically a sup'ed up
Asus
> M5N. It has everything you want.
>
>
http://www.laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen...
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2004 2:45:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"JCBlueEyes" <jcblueeyes@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040808151002.12055.00003440@mb-m01.aol.com...
> Take a look at Portable 1's new offering the UX. Basically a sup'ed up Asus
> M5N. It has everything you want.
>
> http://www.laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen...

Does the pointing pad of the UX have scroll function?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2004 6:25:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
news:SKGdnd2J5eo4SovcRVn-vg@speakeasy.net...
> Hmmm, I've never heard of Portable One before. One of my big concerns is
> reliability, as I've recently been burned by buying a cheaper brand to save
> some dough. How does the UX hold up? Are there any long-term reviews of
> it? On the surface, it sure does look like a nice machine though.
>
> thanks,
> Jonathan

What exactly is the problem with Averatec? I was looking at the Averatec 3220HS.

Adam
August 9, 2004 1:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have an Averatec 3150H that I bought Oct. '03.
Basically, it's a great little laptop with one big design flaw: lack of
good cooling.

You cannot run this laptop at full CPU utilization for extended periods
because it cannot keep itself cool. As such, over time, it develops
numerous thermal failures. I know this because I run the United Devices'
grid computing agent, doing cancer research. Any grid computing tool that
utilizes "unused" CPU cycles is likely to do the same thing. If you don't
run United Devices, SETI@home or the like, then you're probably OK. However
the design flaws are present, even if they aren't causing you problems. My
3150 has had repeated CPU failures, a RAM failure, and I've begun getting
S.M.A.R.T. warnings on the hard drive.

The 3220 series are close cousins of the 3150, so I'd expect to find the
same problems there. I'm not saying don't buy it, but I am trying to set
your expectations based on my experiences. It's really hard to resist
Averatec, given how much they give you for your dollar.

good luck,
Jonathan

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fgBRc.14106$9Y6.504@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> news:SKGdnd2J5eo4SovcRVn-vg@speakeasy.net...
> > Hmmm, I've never heard of Portable One before. One of my big concerns
is
> > reliability, as I've recently been burned by buying a cheaper brand to
save
> > some dough. How does the UX hold up? Are there any long-term reviews
of
> > it? On the surface, it sure does look like a nice machine though.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Jonathan
>
> What exactly is the problem with Averatec? I was looking at the Averatec
3220HS.
>
> Adam
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2004 7:16:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

See all of the choices listed at www.conics.net and www.dynamism.com

You've got with optical drive:
Sony TR-series
Panasonic W & Y-series
Fujitsu T70H-series, P7000 series
Sony S-series
JVC Interlink XV series

----

Cheap, I'd go with the Averatec 4lbs sold at Staples for $699 on sale
now and then.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Fujitsu T70H series -- built-in DVD burner,
longer battery life than the comprable Sony TR series in size & weight,
big 80GB HD, and does just about everything in a compact 3lbs.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2004 12:55:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
news:p oSdnakzr_TO6IrcRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
> I have an Averatec 3150H that I bought Oct. '03.
> Basically, it's a great little laptop with one big design flaw: lack of
> good cooling.
>
> You cannot run this laptop at full CPU utilization for extended periods
> because it cannot keep itself cool. As such, over time, it develops
> numerous thermal failures. I know this because I run the United Devices'
> grid computing agent, doing cancer research. Any grid computing tool that
> utilizes "unused" CPU cycles is likely to do the same thing. If you don't
> run United Devices, SETI@home or the like, then you're probably OK. However
> the design flaws are present, even if they aren't causing you problems. My
> 3150 has had repeated CPU failures, a RAM failure, and I've begun getting
> S.M.A.R.T. warnings on the hard drive.
>
> The 3220 series are close cousins of the 3150, so I'd expect to find the
> same problems there. I'm not saying don't buy it, but I am trying to set
> your expectations based on my experiences. It's really hard to resist
> Averatec, given how much they give you for your dollar.
>
> good luck,
> Jonathan
>
> "Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:fgBRc.14106$9Y6.504@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >
> > "Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:SKGdnd2J5eo4SovcRVn-vg@speakeasy.net...
> > > Hmmm, I've never heard of Portable One before. One of my big concerns
> is
> > > reliability, as I've recently been burned by buying a cheaper brand to
> save
> > > some dough. How does the UX hold up? Are there any long-term reviews
> of
> > > it? On the surface, it sure does look like a nice machine though.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Jonathan

When you get a replacement (Portable One UX?) can you post a review. I'm looking for
something similar.

Adam
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2004 6:33:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
news:p oSdnakzr_TO6IrcRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
> I have an Averatec 3150H that I bought Oct. '03.
> Basically, it's a great little laptop with one big design flaw: lack of
> good cooling.
>
> You cannot run this laptop at full CPU utilization for extended periods
> because it cannot keep itself cool. As such, over time, it develops
> numerous thermal failures. I know this because I run the United Devices'
> grid computing agent, doing cancer research. Any grid computing tool that
> utilizes "unused" CPU cycles is likely to do the same thing. If you don't
> run United Devices, SETI@home or the like, then you're probably OK. However
> the design flaws are present, even if they aren't causing you problems. My
> 3150 has had repeated CPU failures, a RAM failure, and I've begun getting
> S.M.A.R.T. warnings on the hard drive.
>
> The 3220 series are close cousins of the 3150, so I'd expect to find the
> same problems there. I'm not saying don't buy it, but I am trying to set
> your expectations based on my experiences. It's really hard to resist
> Averatec, given how much they give you for your dollar.
>
> good luck,
> Jonathan

When you don't run the grid computing software and use it for "normal" computing
(word processing, internet access, educational software) does it still have the
thermal problems?

Adam
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2004 8:24:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
news:cf8t3g$4e5$1@news.service.uci.edu...
> See all of the choices listed at www.conics.net and www.dynamism.com
>
> You've got with optical drive:
> Sony TR-series
> Panasonic W & Y-series
> Fujitsu T70H-series, P7000 series
> Sony S-series
> JVC Interlink XV series
>
> ----
>
> Cheap, I'd go with the Averatec 4lbs sold at Staples for $699 on sale
> now and then.
>
> Otherwise, I'd go with the Fujitsu T70H series -- built-in DVD burner,
> longer battery life than the comprable Sony TR series in size & weight,
> big 80GB HD, and does just about everything in a compact 3lbs.

Unfortunately the Sonys and Fujitsu are wide-small screens for watching personal
DVDs. Some programs do not display well on the wide screen.
August 10, 2004 2:36:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fuWRc.15327$cK.9263@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Jonathan" <jonathan@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p oSdnakzr_TO6IrcRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
> > I have an Averatec 3150H that I bought Oct. '03.
> > Basically, it's a great little laptop with one big design flaw: lack of
> > good cooling.
> >
> > You cannot run this laptop at full CPU utilization for extended periods
> > because it cannot keep itself cool. As such, over time, it develops
> > numerous thermal failures. I know this because I run the United
Devices'
> > grid computing agent, doing cancer research. Any grid computing tool
that
> > utilizes "unused" CPU cycles is likely to do the same thing. If you
don't
> > run United Devices, SETI@home or the like, then you're probably OK.
However
> > the design flaws are present, even if they aren't causing you problems.
My
> > 3150 has had repeated CPU failures, a RAM failure, and I've begun
getting
> > S.M.A.R.T. warnings on the hard drive.
> >
> > The 3220 series are close cousins of the 3150, so I'd expect to find the
> > same problems there. I'm not saying don't buy it, but I am trying to
set
> > your expectations based on my experiences. It's really hard to resist
> > Averatec, given how much they give you for your dollar.
> >
> > good luck,
> > Jonathan
>
> When you don't run the grid computing software and use it for "normal"
computing
> (word processing, internet access, educational software) does it still
have the
> thermal problems?

No, it seems to be fine then. So it makes sense not to run such
applications. If you just use normal office type apps. you should be fine.
However, I contend that poor design of the laptop shouldn't cause me to have
to constantly be aware of what apps. I'm running and how much they're
stressing the CPU. Maybe I'm just asking too much from a $800 notebook.
:-)

FWIW, I could never get any environmental monitors to work with this laptop
(I like MBM5 normally), but such a tool would be really nice to have so you
could see the CPU temp. and other indicators of stress and/or overheating.

-Jonathan
!