Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Want to swap 5504-160gig harddrive with 5040-40gig harddri..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Want to swap 5504-160gig harddrive with 5040-40gig harddrive.

The 160gig was an upgrade for the 5504.
I want to sell the 5504 but would like to swap out the drive first.
If its a simple swap then that's what I want to do.

They both have lifetime activation.
My concern is will the 5040 have CA and Internet Transfer after swap.

Is it possible to just swap the drives without formating or doing
anything special before hand?

Thanks
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:23:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

nospamcoming@me.com wrote:
> Want to swap 5504-160gig harddrive with 5040-40gig harddrive.
>
> The 160gig was an upgrade for the 5504.
> I want to sell the 5504 but would like to swap out the drive first.
> If its a simple swap then that's what I want to do.
>
> They both have lifetime activation.
> My concern is will the 5040 have CA and Internet Transfer after swap.
>
> Is it possible to just swap the drives without formating or doing
> anything special before hand?
>
> Thanks
Just swap the drives and do a net connect. Other than serial number the
2 units are identical.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:46:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

nospamcoming@me.com wrote:
> Want to swap 5504-160gig harddrive with 5040-40gig harddrive.
>
> The 160gig was an upgrade for the 5504.
> I want to sell the 5504 but would like to swap out the drive first.
> If its a simple swap then that's what I want to do.
>
> They both have lifetime activation.
> My concern is will the 5040 have CA and Internet Transfer after swap.
>
> Is it possible to just swap the drives without formating or doing
> anything special before hand?
>
> Thanks

I'll answer in part... The 5040 Drive is already formatted for use in a
Replay, The 5504 is as well, So a direct swap *SHOULD* be possible

Now, as for the lifetime activations... I do not know, And can not test

However I do know this.. I purchased a "pre-formatted" drive for my 5040
(it's now a 5200) and when I popped it in the first thing the system did
was download all the software updates from "home" (replay phone home)
thaankfully via broadband (say that like "E-T Phone home)

It knew it was activated, no problem there, it knew most everything
elese, I had to re-do the chan line up and zip code if memory serves
Related resources
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:46:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:46:41 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>nospamcoming@me.com wrote:
>> Want to swap 5504-160gig harddrive with 5040-40gig harddrive.
>>
>> The 160gig was an upgrade for the 5504.
>> I want to sell the 5504 but would like to swap out the drive first.
>> If its a simple swap then that's what I want to do.
>>
>> They both have lifetime activation.
>> My concern is will the 5040 have CA and Internet Transfer after swap.
>>
>> Is it possible to just swap the drives without formating or doing
>> anything special before hand?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>I'll answer in part... The 5040 Drive is already formatted for use in a
>Replay, The 5504 is as well, So a direct swap *SHOULD* be possible
>
>Now, as for the lifetime activations... I do not know, And can not test
>

My Replays have lifetime activation, and showed as activated as soon
as a new drive was installed. It was a 5060, which now holds 80 hours.

BTW, I've not had a Replay 5080 for almost 23 months, and approaching
the point where lifetime saves money.

>However I do know this.. I purchased a "pre-formatted" drive for my 5040
>(it's now a 5200) and when I popped it in the first thing the system did
>was download all the software updates from "home" (replay phone home)
>thaankfully via broadband (say that like "E-T Phone home)
>

Yes, you probably will get a software upgrade after
upgrading/replacing the drive, unless you copied the old drive.

BTW, you can use RTVPatch instead of buying one of those pre-formatted
drives. One advantage of that is that you can have the Replay working
in an hour (even if it's at 3AM) instead of a week.

BTW2, that was one advantage of having changed this computer to SATA
drives. It made it very easy to connect the Replay drive to use
RTVPatch (primary IDE connector now free).

>It knew it was activated, no problem there, it knew most everything
>elese, I had to re-do the chan line up and zip code if memory serves

All the customization you did, including multiple theme channels,
enabling 'theme priority', etc.. will need to be redone. I just had to
do that to one yesterday.

BTW, I discovered that it won't work if you run DVArchive and WiRNS on
the same computer. Strangely, it seemed to be causing 2 of my Replays
to reboot about every 5 minutes.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:27:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:46:41 GMT, John in Detroit

> All the customization you did, including multiple theme channels,
> enabling 'theme priority', etc.. will need to be redone. I just had to
> do that to one yesterday.
>
> BTW, I discovered that it won't work if you run DVArchive and WiRNS on
> the same computer. Strangely, it seemed to be causing 2 of my Replays
> to reboot about every 5 minutes.

What's WiRNS?

As for the cutosmization and the like.... I got the Replay one day, set
it up for testing and instruction... The 200 Gig drive arrived one or
two days later. By the time I was ready to "Go Live" with the replay
(monday morning) it had the 200 Gig drive in it. So nothing was lost
and expierence was gained, which was a good thing.

Kind of fun.... When I told wife I was goign to replace her VCR with the
Replay she screamed bloody murder about not wanting to learn how to use
a computer to watch her shows (like a modern VCR is NOT a computer?)

We have had "hers" now for about 3 weeks and she does not wish to part
with it, She wanted to be sure we could take the replays with us when we
move from the hosue into a Motor Home (The M.H. by the time we move,
will have datastorm sattalite units, The replays connect at night and
we will make sure the D.S. is set up and ready)
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:27:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:27:19 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:46:41 GMT, John in Detroit
>
>> All the customization you did, including multiple theme channels,
>> enabling 'theme priority', etc.. will need to be redone. I just had to
>> do that to one yesterday.
>>
>> BTW, I discovered that it won't work if you run DVArchive and WiRNS on
>> the same computer. Strangely, it seemed to be causing 2 of my Replays
>> to reboot about every 5 minutes.
>
>What's WiRNS?
>

Try reading here and at http://wirns.zapto.org/

>As for the cutosmization and the like.... I got the Replay one day, set
>it up for testing and instruction... The 200 Gig drive arrived one or
>two days later.

Looks like you had already planned to do the upgrade. Some people wait
until the warranty expires (probably unimportant, but some do anyway).
There's also the unexpected upgrade (reinstall software). That's what
happened with my 5060.

BTW, I was going to upgrade my first 5xxx (a 5080) and already had a
250GB drive. Then I found DVArchive, and no longer have a need to
upgrade (yes, I know your situation is different). That drive is now
in my computer running DVArchive.

> By the time I was ready to "Go Live" with the replay
>(monday morning) it had the 200 Gig drive in it. So nothing was lost
>and expierence was gained, which was a good thing.
>

If would be a little more with RTVPatch.

>Kind of fun.... When I told wife I was goign to replace her VCR with the
>Replay she screamed bloody murder about not wanting to learn how to use
>a computer to watch her shows (like a modern VCR is NOT a computer?)
>

They are. Some people see unfamiliar buttons (like the "return to
live" button on the Replay) and give up, never even considering not
pressing them.

>We have had "hers" now for about 3 weeks and she does not wish to part
>with it, She wanted to be sure we could take the replays with us when we
>move from the hosue into a Motor Home (The M.H. by the time we move,
>will have datastorm sattalite units, The replays connect at night and
>we will make sure the D.S. is set up and ready)

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:45:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>
> Looks like you had already planned to do the upgrade. Some people wait
> until the warranty expires (probably unimportant, but some do anyway).
> There's also the unexpected upgrade (reinstall software). That's what
> happened with my 5060.
>
> BTW, I was going to upgrade my first 5xxx (a 5080) and already had a
> 250GB drive. Then I found DVArchive, and no longer have a need to
> upgrade (yes, I know your situation is different). That drive is now
> in my computer running DVArchive.

The reason for upgrading the 5040 is that it's the wife's unit, this way
she has all the storage she needs w/o resorting to the computer

And with a used 5040 warranty is *not* an issue (there is none) so, yes,
I had indeed planned on doing the upgrade literly from the Time I placed
the bid on E-bay, let alone won (about 30 seconds later)
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:45:51 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>
>> Looks like you had already planned to do the upgrade. Some people wait
>> until the warranty expires (probably unimportant, but some do anyway).
>> There's also the unexpected upgrade (reinstall software). That's what
>> happened with my 5060.
>>
>> BTW, I was going to upgrade my first 5xxx (a 5080) and already had a
>> 250GB drive. Then I found DVArchive, and no longer have a need to
>> upgrade (yes, I know your situation is different). That drive is now
>> in my computer running DVArchive.
>
>The reason for upgrading the 5040 is that it's the wife's unit, this way
>she has all the storage she needs w/o resorting to the computer
>

The computer's not bad once you get the software setup.

Copying Replay --> PC can be automated using "Tasks". For example, you
could have it make copies (then delete the originals) of all episodes
of "General Hospital" (schedule this at night so as to avoid problems
with shows disappearing while they're being watched). These shows
would be viewable on a remote Replay (actually your PC).

To the Replay, this PC looks like another Replay, and shows on it can
be watched on the Replay (networked).

>And with a used 5040 warranty is *not* an issue (there is none) so, yes,
>I had indeed planned on doing the upgrade literly from the Time I placed
>the bid on E-bay, let alone won (about 30 seconds later)

OK. In that case the waiting time for the Replay and the waiting time
for the drive overlapped, so doing the upgrade this way was just as
fast as using RTVPatch. Thatt wouldn't be the case when upgrading an
Existing Replay.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:47:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:45:51 GMT, John in Detroit

>
> The computer's not bad once you get the software setup.

I know that is how I "upgraded" My unit, it's a 5504 and the spare 120
hours of storage is... Next to this computer. I should point out that
since this computer is a laptop... There are some SERIOUS advantages to
doing it that way (I sat in the airport in Baitimore waiting for my
flight (I got there early) Watching CSI)

>>And with a used 5040 warranty is *not* an issue (there is none) so, yes,
>>I had indeed planned on doing the upgrade literly from the Time I placed
>>the bid on E-bay, let alone won (about 30 seconds later)
>
>
> OK. In that case the waiting time for the Replay and the waiting time
> for the drive overlapped, so doing the upgrade this way was just as
> fast as using RTVPatch. Thatt wouldn't be the case when upgrading an
> Existing Replay.

Yup, in fact there was some SERIOUS danger the new drive would arrive first
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:47:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:47:50 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:45:51 GMT, John in Detroit
>
>>
>> The computer's not bad once you get the software setup.
>
>I know that is how I "upgraded" My unit, it's a 5504 and the spare 120
>hours of storage is... Next to this computer. I should point out that
>since this computer is a laptop... There are some SERIOUS advantages to
>doing it that way (I sat in the airport in Baitimore waiting for my
>flight (I got there early) Watching CSI)
>

Yes, there are problems with using DVA on laptops. Even when it is
connected to the network, laptop hard drives are slower.

>>>And with a used 5040 warranty is *not* an issue (there is none) so, yes,
>>>I had indeed planned on doing the upgrade literly from the Time I placed
>>>the bid on E-bay, let alone won (about 30 seconds later)
>>
>>
>> OK. In that case the waiting time for the Replay and the waiting time
>> for the drive overlapped, so doing the upgrade this way was just as
>> fast as using RTVPatch. Thatt wouldn't be the case when upgrading an
>> Existing Replay.
>
>Yup, in fact there was some SERIOUS danger the new drive would arrive first

Were you worried that the Replay wouldn't come until it was too late
to return the drive? Otherwise, what would be the problem?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:01:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Were you worried that the Replay wouldn't come until it was too late
> to return the drive? Otherwise, what would be the problem?

I was more worried that the replay would not come ... Period

However, no problem, in either case. It's all plugged in, it's all
working and there is a spare 40 gig replay drive sitting there waiting
in case a drive fails.

Wife has found she may not need 200 hours of replay after all you see
!