Intel Core i7 870 Core Clock stuck at 2.68Ghz

vieira10152

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hello, this is my first time on the forums. :)

I really hope I can find the answer to my problem. After doing so much research and coming up with absolutely nothing I decided it was time to ask for help myself.

I am an absolute noob when it comes to CPU overclocking, I had never tried it until recently and I'm pretty sure that my problem was my own fault due to lack of experience or at least that's what I'm hoping is the problem.

Anyway my problem is this, I tried to overclock my CPU through the ASUS TurboV Auto-Tuning Feature (Yes I know the first time should always be through the BIOS but as I said, I'm a complete noob... ). It was able to overclock the CPU to 3.8Ghz or so it said. I ran 2 different stress tests (OCCT and Prime95, and no not at the same time) just to see if it worked. While the AI SUITE is telling me that the BLCK is in fact at 194Mhz, under the stress test it always shows running under full load at 2.68Ghz (BCLK @ 121.6Mhz). Thats when I decided to change it through the BIOS and reduce the overclock to which it had no effect. After a few times of changing I decided to reduce the BCLK below 121.6Mhz it was running at constantly yet this also changed nothing, even at a reduced BCLK frequency it was still running at that same speed, it refuses to change regardless of what change I make. I seriously need help. I dont know if its sometthing I've done or my CPU.

System Specs:
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.68Ghz
Deep Cool Tiger Shark CPU Cooler (What the box says :p)
ASUS P7H55-M/USB3 Motherboard
16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM 1333Mhz
60GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
Gainward Phantom GTX 580 3GB
Corsair TX750M "750W" PSU

Thank you in advanced for any help, and sorry rambling so much. :)

drums101

Distinguished
these chips are fairly easy to overclock..first set your BIOS back to defaults....then update your BIOS...go to ASUS website and get the newest one and flash it...then really just set your vcore to the VID (stock intel voltage cant remember it atm for that chip 1.2v?) then bump up the base clock a few mhz 5-10 at a time and boot into windows and run prime95 for a bit to test for stability...keep bumping up the base clock until it becomes unstable and then bump the vcore up a little bit....repeat this process until you have gotten where you want....dont rush it and keep an eye on temps...going slow will pay off big time in the end

vieira10152

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

Thank you so much for reply. I will do it this way and see if it changes, and will let you know if its solved the problem. Once again thank you for quick reply. :)