I'm new here and have a questions. Here is my setup

I7 920 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
OCZ PC3-12800 Obsidian 6GB Triple Channel Kit DDR3 Ram
BFG Nvidia GTS 250 Vidoe Card
Antec True Power 750 W PSU
1 TB Hitachi HD
Antec Twelve Hundred Case

For some reason, using Window 7 64-bit or Windows XP, I can not connect to the Internet. i have verified my Internet works the way it should with my laptop, but not with the Desktop. I have tried Window 7, Vista & XP drivers and nothing seems to work. I am a Network Administrator and have never encountered a problem like this . In looking at the Nic Card in the control panel it seems that data is being sent but not received. To be a little more descriptive, I can ping the loopback 127.0.0.1 and the Microsoft provide address 169.x.x.x, but the computer does not get assigned a DHCP IP. If I statically assign an ip, I can get to my comcast modem interface (GUI) but no other site. I can not even ping 4.2.2.2. I also tried two of the same motherboard (to eliminate the Onboard Nic having a HW problem) and it still does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
January 31, 2010 5:35:04 AM

Have you tried directly connecting the desktop to the modem, bypassing the router?
m
l
January 31, 2010 6:46:02 AM

skora said:
Have you tried directly connecting the desktop to the modem, bypassing the router?

Yes, that is the way I have been doing it but The modem is not provide the PC with a IP address. The Lan connection just says no internet access.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 7:04:20 AM

I know when I replaced my router recently, I had the same issue where it said partial but unusable connectivity. It wasn't until I plugged in comcast.net to the host name and the mac addy of router before I had any type of throughput.

I'm sure your more versed in the subject matter than I. This was what fixed my hiccup of similar nature.
m
l
January 31, 2010 2:16:29 PM

skora said:
I know when I replaced my router recently, I had the same issue where it said partial but unusable connectivity. It wasn't until I plugged in comcast.net to the host name and the mac addy of router before I had any type of throughput.

I'm sure your more versed in the subject matter than I. This was what fixed my hiccup of similar nature.

Thanks for the info. This is a new build and new install and it has never worked, so I am stumped. I have been troubleshooting for almost two and a half days and I can not figure this one out.
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:26:50 AM

I figured out the problem. I had to completely reset my comcast modem. I had to unplug it and pull out the backup battery.
m
l
Anonymous
October 16, 2010 2:19:44 AM

Hi - I have the same problem: no internet. Do you think this may be a defected mortherboard? Anyone fixed it out how to do it.

Thanks
m
l
!