Sign in with
Your question

P7P55D-E Pro Memory Issue

Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2010 1:02:16 PM

Seeking some advice here... i'll try and keep this as short and to the point as i can.

Last week i built a new PC. Got all my hardware installed, windows 7 loaded, and everything was rock solid for exactly a week. Thought i was in the clear, and was going to start going for some overclocking when all of a sudden, out of no where i started getting hit with BSOD's with the 0x0000001A stop error when running StarCraft 2. Also very frequent program crashes (after a week of pure rock solid performance). A quick google of the stop error suggested bad memory. I know i need to go home and run mem test and obviously verify a few other things.

My setup looks like this:
P7P55D-E Pro
Core i5-760
8GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (2GB sticks x4)
EVGA GTX 460 ( w/ dual monitors)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX

I did pull 2 sticks of my memory and run on just 4GB last night and noticed 2 things:
1. Using the 2 black DIMMS causes the mem LED to stay light and no boot
2. Using the 2 blue DIMMS restored normal boot, and i ran StarCraft 2 with out issue for the rest of the night.

As i said, when i built the system last week, everything went fine. All 8GB of RAM was recognized, i had zero issues runinng StarCraft 2 as well as 2 EvE clients. Then, all of a sudden constant program freezes as well as BSOD's.

I guess what im really asking here is, am i looking at bad memory, or potentially a bad DIMM on the mobo? I did find some threads on toms already referencing both with this particular ASUS model. Am just curious if there is potentially something else I am missing or unaware of. Also could it just be my RAM setup, i.e. running 4 modules of RAM?

Thanks, any help or advice is appreciated!
September 2, 2010 1:40:03 PM

BIOS and drivers are all up to date as well.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 } Memory
a c 296 V Motherboard
September 2, 2010 1:50:12 PM

Hi wingnutt92 and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Do u test all the RAM stick in the blue DIMMS? I mean 4GB first and after that the other 4GB in the same RAM slots.

Run memtest86+ with the configuration that I say up and let me know the results.
Related resources
September 2, 2010 2:15:09 PM

I did actually have time to test with all 4 sticks of RAM using only the blue DIMMs. Each of the 4 sticks seem to work in the blue DIMMs fine. However, when i put one set of 2 sticks in the black DIMMs the mem LED right away came on and i got no boot.

The machine will boot, and recognize 8GB of ram if i plug in all 4 sticks. I did see a reference in another thread here on toms that with this particular mobo, if your just using 2 RAM modules, only the blue DIMMS should be used. using just the black DIMMS will cause an issue. However i have not had a chance to check my mobo manual to confirm this.

Im currently at work, so im just trying to get a better idea of what im dealing with while i pass the time. I plan on running memtest tonight.

would it be best to test all 8GB of RAM at once, or in pairs? and yes, if there are spicific settings i should use for memtest, plz post them. I've never had to run it before.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 } Memory
a c 296 V Motherboard
September 2, 2010 3:35:26 PM

Run memetst86+ with the 8GB installed with normal settings and if the system boot use LinX (1 hour) with "all" selected to test the stability.
September 3, 2010 12:15:37 PM

Memtest86+ confirmed a bad stick of RAM last night. RMA'ing back to newegg.

very odd that it worked fine for a week, and then just decided to go. Any insight on what might cause a memory module to go bad like that so soon?

I had this happen once before in a laptop, but it was after about a year.

Thanks for the help... appreciated!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 } Memory
a c 296 V Motherboard
September 3, 2010 1:48:09 PM

The technology isn't perfect usually has some fails and this's one cause of those fails. Why? I'm not sure but that's the reason of the warranty.
September 3, 2010 6:36:56 PM

indeed. i work as a tech my self, so i know how it is.

was more worried that it might be a setting on my board or a potential power surge (my apartment is prone to them) that could have caused it to fail. I haven't messed with any of my RAM settings, so they should all still be set to defaults.

Hopefully RMA solves the issue :/  I actually had to build this rig ahead of schedual because of a power surge. Knocked out the system board in my old PC :(  The PSU was still fine tho, that was the odd thing.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 } Memory
a c 296 V Motherboard
September 3, 2010 6:39:17 PM

For solve that power surge u can get a UPS.
January 2, 2011 1:24:02 PM

Not entirely related but I have a P7P55D-E Pro/memtest question. I have the aforementioned MB and 8 GB of G Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL memory. I can't get memtest to run either from when I had set the system up as a dual Ubuntu/Win 7 machine where memtest is one of the boot options or booting with a memtest CD that I've successfully tried in another machine. I've tried using 1 DIMM and all 4 and this is my second batch of RAM. I've reinstalled Win 7 and, like the first time, it was fine for a week or so but now I'm getting random, frequent BSODs. So my question is, is there any reason that memtest won't run on my machine?
!