Mobo Issue or something else? Please any help appreciated

mcdougal806

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hi dont know if you can help.

I had a new pc built for me after 1 week after i turned it on after sleep mode i realized that my internet was not working but my wife still had internet on her labtop. I spent about 45 mins unplugging and replugging in the router and i got it to work. Another week later the guy who built it was comming over to replace a ata serial cable a 3.0 to 6.0 switch. I again realized taht i did not have the internet working on my computer but my router realized i had internet but my pc did not. He spent about 45 mins and couldnt figure it out. Also when this happened both times my wireless mouse and usb keyboard i could not get to work. I got it to work the first time only after i got the internet to work.
The next day the guy came over and spent about 5 hours trying to look at my bios and other stuff reinstalled windows 7 2-3 times and then had a issue trying to instal my video card. Atm he will be over later this evening to try to fix this but my problem is taht i dont have any faith in him and im leaving to move to florida on labor day and my warrentee for both video card and mobo ends sept 10 if anything really is wrong with them. Any advice i can give to the guy who repairs computers for a living i must add or advice for myself?

Thank you here are my computer specs from what i can remember, im not a intellegent computer person with all this stuff.

Ati radeon hd 5870 crossfire
windows 7
i7-930
gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r

mcdougal806

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
both times i lost the internet it was after a sleep mode ive only had the pc for two weeks.

2. And no its not running internet still the guy has no clue whats wrong keeps blamming video card or mob or windows 7 but of course nothing taht he might of done when making it. It only has windows loaded on it atm hes comming back tonight to try and reinstall the video card again and try to find the internet problem

tecmo34

Administrator
Okay....

1) Has he install all the required updated motherboard drivers? I'm not sure how a GPU will effect your LAN but drivers can.

2) Also, have you double checked or tried to flash your router to the newest firmware? Could it be it isn't truly compatible with Windows 7 so you are having issues?

mcdougal806

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
i can ask him about the required updated mobo drivers im not sure about that and ill ask about the firmware thing and i didnt know windows 7 couldnt be compatible with a mobo but like i said i dont know much about this stuff

Are your keyboard and mobo connected to the USB ports or connected via USB to PS/2 adaptors? The reason I ask is that if using the PS/2 adaptors, Windows will not recognized them if the BIOS didn't. This can happen if:

1. They simply weren't plugged in securely upon startup; or
2. If the tech messed with USB legacy settings in the BIOS.

As for your router issue... try plugging your computer in directly to your cable/dsl router. If this gets your internet to work, then the problem isn't in the mobo or in the drivers for the video card. If this does work, turn off all security/encryptions (temporarily, while diagnosing) to your router.

mcdougal806

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
ok that is good info cause at first i was using a mouse that was using the ps/2 adaptor and a keyboard taht was using usb, then i switched using a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard both for usb. The first time the internet went i couldnt get either of them to work and was only able to get teh mouse back working if i used the ps2 adaptor and i remember him yesterday bringing over a keyboard that also plugged into the ps2 to get a keyboard to work.

For the other problems i am going to show this guy what you wrote and maybe it will be useful for him.