REQ Help : SONY Laptop PCG-NV170 Keyboard Driver

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 6, 2004 11:21:45 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows how to recover the keyboard driver on my
SONY laptop after a clean install. The special function (Fn) keys no
longer work. I have tried the SONY web site for my model but no keyboard
driver is offered. I have the recovery CD's but they are ment to restore
everything to it's original state which I don't want. Any idea's?

Thanks,

KenJamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2004 12:11:05 AM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:21:45 GMT, KenJamin <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone knows how to recover the keyboard driver on my
>SONY laptop after a clean install. The special function (Fn) keys no
>longer work. I have tried the SONY web site for my model but no keyboard
>driver is offered. I have the recovery CD's but they are ment to restore
>everything to it's original state which I don't want. Any idea's?

You're looking for HotKey Server, which is cross-compatible among
other models with the same OS. Note that it requires some other Sony
files to work, their Shared Files Library among them. Check the web
site again.
Emanuel
August 7, 2004 10:38:43 AM

E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:21:45 GMT, KenJamin <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if anyone knows how to recover the keyboard driver on
>>my SONY laptop after a clean install. The special function (Fn) keys
>>no longer work. I have tried the SONY web site for my model but no
>>keyboard driver is offered. I have the recovery CD's but they are
>>ment to restore everything to it's original state which I don't want.
>>Any idea's?
>>
> You're looking for HotKey Server, which is cross-compatible among
> other models with the same OS. Note that it requires some other Sony
> files to work, their Shared Files Library among them. Check the web
> site again.
> Emanuel

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Related resources
August 7, 2004 11:38:30 AM

Emanual,

Here's where I'm at:

Found the SONY shared library on Recovery CD#1 and installed it

Found the Hotkey Utility on the SONy web site and installed it

Fn keys still not working so...

I opened Device Manager and deleted the Standard 101 Key KB. --> Reboot

Dialogue stated new hardware found, software installed, reboot again -->
Reboot

Still no working HotKeys.

Any other software interdependencies you are aware of?

Thanks,

KenJamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2004 5:56:19 PM

"KenJamin" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| Emanual,
|
| Here's where I'm at:
|
| Found the SONY shared library on Recovery CD#1 and installed it
|
| Found the Hotkey Utility on the SONy web site and installed it
|
| Fn keys still not working so...
|
| I opened Device Manager and deleted the Standard 101 Key KB. --> Reboot
|
| Dialogue stated new hardware found, software installed, reboot again -->
| Reboot
|
| Still no working HotKeys.
|
| Any other software interdependencies you are aware of?
|
| Thanks,
|
| KenJamin

Hi KenJamin -

You may also have a Sony Utilities DLL to install from your Recovery CD -
some Vaio models give you two items to install for all of Sony's library
routines.

It may be necessary to un-install the HotKey utility and the Shared Library
then reinstall all in the following order:

Sony Shared Library
Sony Utilities DLL
HotKey Utility

You may then need to add a startup item to your registry in order for
HKserv.exe to run. For some reason the Recovery CD installer sometimes
misses this step.

Click Start | Run and type Regedit and press OK.

In the Regedit screen, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft
\ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run (spaces added for clarity) and click on
Edit then New then String Value. Right-click the New Value#1 and click on
Rename and give the string a name (such as "Hotkey") then double-click on
Hotkey and enter the string value "C:\Program Files\Sony\Hotkey
Utility\HKserv.exe" and press Enter. Click on File then Exit to exit the
registry editor. Reboot your system and the HotKey utility should load as
part of the startup.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2004 6:19:07 PM

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 13:56:19 GMT, "Jef Norton"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>You may also have a Sony Utilities DLL to install from your Recovery CD -
>some Vaio models give you two items to install for all of Sony's library
>routines.
>
>It may be necessary to un-install the HotKey utility and the Shared Library
>then reinstall all in the following order:
>
>Sony Shared Library
>Sony Utilities DLL
>HotKey Utility
>
>You may then need to add a startup item to your registry in order for
>HKserv.exe to run. For some reason the Recovery CD installer sometimes
>misses this step.

I'd say Jef nailed this one, but the key I've always found is to
install the files in order (usually the order listed on Sony's web
site). If you didn't install in that order, you should uninstall the
files and re-do them. That should do it.
Emanuel
!