Sign in with
Your question

Do graphical artifacts damage GPU's?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 4, 2012 2:37:03 AM

With the help and guidance of some of the folk on here, I pushed my reference/dirt 3 (they're one and the same it would seem...) sapphire radeon 6950 2gb graphics card to a 900/1350 configuration from the 800/1250 stock clocks. I tested it in various programs and what not with no crashes.

Anyway I decide to play a game one day and spot an artifact. So I turn off my OC, and go back to the game - artifact is still there... So I restart my machine without the OC, go back to that exact same point in the game, (via a save, im talking about syndicate btw, the new FPS version.) And voila, I see the same stretchy artifact that is connecting two portions of a decapitated body. :ouch:  (To be exact it was a couple of bodies)

I don't get any crashes, but was wondering two things.

1 - does just increasing clocks by like - 12 percent, and what not, cause damage to graphics cards? Does just increasing clocks in general cause damage?

2 - and as stupid as this one may sound, do artifacts in general, (relating to the hardware itself) cause damage to the GPU?

3 - also, does 'suciding' cause damage? If I wanted to do 1000 MHz just to see what my result in 3dmark 11 would be. (provided I even go through it.) would that cause damage? (I actually did that and to say the least it wouldn't even apply the clock, it just crashed and I hit the restart button on my machine since my gpu went into a hardware coma.)

I'm pretty sure its the game, a software artifact, since after I knocked off my OC the artifact still persisted. But I don't want to have a brick on my hands, so im wanting to clear this up. :whistle: 

Should I drop my OC? Or just go on with it like nothing happened? It's stable w/o problem in most other applications, including 3dmark 11, kombustor, and OCCT error testing, and the crysis benchmark.

I tend to be paranoid over every little thing anyway. And I can confirm that my temps are fine, they never seem to go over 75C no matter what I do and that's a reasonable temperature for a graphics card of this much beefiness.

I also may want to add that recently I got this unrelenting screen flickering on my desktop by using trixx, (I swore to myself I annhilated my card for good.) I fixed it by simply doing a system restore, guess that goes to show how companies don't give a good damn about these sorts of things... things being hobbyists like myself that want to safely push out performance out of their components.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also I wanted to ask does instability damage graphics cards?
October 4, 2012 2:38:06 AM

shivanthing said:
With the help and guidance of some of the folk on here, I pushed my reference/dirt 3 (they're one and the same it would seem...) sapphire radeon 6950 2gb graphics card to a 900/1350 configuration from the 800/1250 stock clocks. I tested it in various programs and what not with no crashes.

Anyway I decide to play a game one day and spot an artifact. So I turn off my OC, and go back to the game - artifact is still there... So I restart my machine without the OC, go back to that exact same point in the game, (via a save, im talking about syndicate btw, the new FPS version.) And voila, I see the same stretchy artifact that is connecting two portions of a decapitated body. :ouch: 

I don't get any crashes, but was wondering two things.

1 - does just increasing clocks by like - 12 percent, and what not, cause damage to graphics cards?

2 - and as stupid as this one may sound, do artifacts in general, (relating to the hardware itself) cause damage to the GPU?

3 - also, does 'suciding' cause damage? If I wanted to do 1000 MHz just to see what my result in 3dmark 11 would be. (provided I even go through it.) would that cause damage? (I actually did that and to say the least it wouldn't even apply the clock, it just crashed and I hit the restart button on my machine since my gpu went into a hardware coma.)

I'm pretty sure its the game, a software artifact, since after I knocked off my OC the artifact still persisted. But I don't want to have a brick on my hands, so im wanting to clear this up. :whistle: 

Should I drop my OC? Or just go on with it like nothing happened? It's stable w/o problem in most other applications, including 3dmark 11, kombustor, and OCCT error testing, and the crysis benchmark.

I tend to be paranoid over every little thing anyway. And I can confirm that my temps are fine, they never seem to go over 75C no matter what I do and that's a reasonable temperature for a graphics card of this much beefiness.

I also may want to add that recently I got this unrelenting screen flickering on my desktop by using trixx, (I swore to myself I annhilated my card for good.) I fixed it by simply doing a system restore, guess that goes to show how companies don't give a good damn about these sorts of things... things being hobbyists like myself that want to safely push out performance out of their components.

Thanks in advance!

whoops my bad, silly me, I quoted my own message while trying to edit. *sigh* :cry:  Guess I hit the wrong things. :lol: 
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2012 8:06:26 PM

1. Depends on the heat and voltages more than the actual clocks. It may cause damage.

2. No, not necessarily. But when you begin to see artifacting you're definitely pushing the GPU into unsafe territory where it MAY sustain permanent damage.

3. Please don't make any rash jumps like that. Take it 5 or 10 MHz at a time, and dial it back immediately if you see artifacts or your computer becomes a jet engine.

As for that particular artifact in that particular game... are you sure it's not just a bug in the game, rather than in your hardware? Are there any problems in other games?
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 10:58:56 PM

I can play all other games with no artifacts at all. Crysis 2 Dx11 for one hour - Nothing out of the ordinary. (And that game's a killer) ^_^ It's probably a bug since those two objects in the game were "related" damn console ports...

Guess I'll keep my OC, if I gotta drop because of some sudden artifact. I won't go cold turkey. ^^ But overall, I think im stable.

My temps never go above 75C

I maxed out the voltage for my card - but it was severely limited anyway. (Other differen't types of cards in the 6950 series could go to higher voltages. Mine's a reference, probably made of cheaper stuff, so they limited it.)

I'm just not used to GPU overclocking, and I do know that the GPU is a lot more sensitive than the CPU in terms of overclocking. CPU's will just shut off, GPU's will release magical smoke. :pt1cable: 

I just wanted to clear this out of my mind, guess I'll just wait for the first hint of instability. Thanks for the info!
m
l
April 21, 2013 2:22:34 PM

i have a problem... i have overclocked my gtx 650 (yeah i know its a shitty card it came with my barebones kit and i havent upgraded) but ive had this overclock since i got the card! i ran the heaven benchmark 3 times maxed out in 1080p and the valley once maxed out. i also ran furmark twice and saw no problem at all! ive seen artifacts before and i dont have any now but when i was playing battlefield 3 all of a sudden the screen started changing colors like from purple to white then to green and ive never seen anything like it! i re-installed direct x and im still getting the problem. the card never goes above 70C and i can play the game fine for like 10min. Please help!!!!
m
l
October 13, 2013 5:13:37 AM

thegreenseen said:
i have a problem... i have overclocked my gtx 650 (yeah i know its a shitty card it came with my barebones kit and i havent upgraded) but ive had this overclock since i got the card! i ran the heaven benchmark 3 times maxed out in 1080p and the valley once maxed out. i also ran furmark twice and saw no problem at all! ive seen artifacts before and i dont have any now but when i was playing battlefield 3 all of a sudden the screen started changing colors like from purple to white then to green and ive never seen anything like it! i re-installed direct x and im still getting the problem. the card never goes above 70C and i can play the game fine for like 10min. Please help!!!!

Not a shitty card. I have a GTX 650 and can play most games at max settings (apart from AA) at
1680x1050 resolution. Be happy with what you've got. Anyway, back on topic, if you get artifacts, lower the clocks, (normally core clock that cause artifacts IIRC) and reduce the voltage. Simple.

If you have to - underclock it, failsafe way of reducing artifacts (last resort however). And if they're still there your cards screwed up somehow and you should probably get a new one.

Otherwise it's a driver issue. Try downloading various versions to see if that fixes the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 224 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 9:00:33 AM

Artifacting directly relating to Graphics overclocking is usually across the board, meaning it is happening everywhere and worsens as you proceed.

Artifacting at a specific game point only is usually that doesn't continue in other areas is normally a game software bug, especially if it is exactly the same place, exactly the same tear image in the game.

Many games can and will display bugginess in that respect and there could be nothing at all wrong with your graphic overclock, that's normally why game patches are released to address these issues.

From my past experiences regarding graphics overclocking and artifacting it appears more easily when overclocking the memory as some of the cards memory chips may not be making good contact with the thermal pads under the heat sink, meaning one or two memory chips may be getting much hotter than the others.

Graphics artifacting is a warning you are pushing it too far, but it will be showing up more than just one isolated place.

My 2 cents!
m
l
!