Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Strange bootup message... any thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2010 11:52:01 AM

I essentially assembled tecmo34 Enthusiast build yesterday, save the SSD that I couldn't afford and used the CM Hyper 212 HSF instead of Dark Knight. I've got the system up and running (I'm using it now to type this message) but every time I reboot I get a message that says "No hard drive found!" The system then continues to boot from the hard drive without any problems.

Really this is more of an annoyance considering the system boots and operates fine, as far as I can tell. So additional information, I plugged the Samsung Spinpoint 1T HDD into my e-SATA 1 on my Asus P6X58D. My Sony Optical DVD is plugged into my e-SATA 4 and then there is am e-SATA on the front of the case that is plugged into my e-SATA 5 port on my mobo. I've have not changed anything in my BIOS.

1.) Does the error message have something to do with the way I have things plugged?
2.) Do I need to config something in my BIOS?
3.) Is the system just mocking me and all the electrons are just giggling every time I reboot?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
January 31, 2010 11:57:16 AM

My guess is that your HDD isn't plugged into the first SATA port on the motherboard. They should be numbered (if not on the board then in the manual) so if you change that it should be better. If not it could be that this HDD is not listed as your boot drive for some reason, which you would have to change in the bios.
m
l
January 31, 2010 1:18:49 PM

mavanhel said:
My guess is that your HDD isn't plugged into the first SATA port on the motherboard. They should be numbered (if not on the board then in the manual) so if you change that it should be better. If not it could be that this HDD is not listed as your boot drive for some reason, which you would have to change in the bios.

I downloaded the lastest verison of the MOBO manual and double checked the e-SATA port locations. The manual lists 1-6 e-SATA locations. I check the MOBO itself and it also lists 1-6 in white text adjacent the ports. I verified that the HDD is plugged into e-SATA port 1. I also moved the DVD e-SATA connect to e-SATA 2 port (previously it was in the e-SATA 3 port) on the MOBO. I then booted up the system and went into the boot sequence of the BIOS. The HDD is listed as the first boot device, followed by the DVD ROM then, it defaults a third boot as 'removable'. After I confirmed the boot sequence (since I didn't change anything), I exited and the computer rebooted.

Unfortunately, I am still getting the message. Any other things I can try?
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 1:59:13 PM

From the looks of it the 2 white SATA ports are going to be the 2x SATA 6Gb/s Marvell ports. You probably want to stick to the 4 blue SATA 3Gb/s ports.

e-Sata is external SATA btw, it carries a power signal much like USB for external drives. This board doesn't support e-sata at all, so <shrug> not really sure what you're referring to there.
m
l
January 31, 2010 2:29:40 PM

a4mula said:
From the looks of it the 2 white SATA ports are going to be the 2x SATA 6Gb/s Marvell ports. You probably want to stick to the 4 blue SATA 3Gb/s ports.

e-Sata is external SATA btw, it carries a power signal much like USB for external drives. This board doesn't support e-sata at all, so <shrug> not really sure what you're referring to there.

Ah, I Was just calling it e-SATA b/c I thought it meant express SATA. That was a misunderstanding on my part. They are just SATA. Regarding the ports, the ones that are being used are blue. I don't have anything plugged into the white SATA 6 ports.

The OS I'm using is Window 7 Pro.
m
l
January 31, 2010 4:32:48 PM

Have you verified what SATA slot you should use per the manual? Sometimes the SATA slots are related to the RAID drives, so when you boot they are looking for a RAID setup. My EVGA X58 has a couple of those SATA slots and aren't designed except for RAID. After a second, the MOBO recongizes the hard drive and you are off and running.
m
l
January 31, 2010 5:00:03 PM

Hi Mr_E,

I have an Asus P7P55D EVO and SATA E1 and SATA E2 are JMicron RAID connectors on my MOBO (as tecmo34 stated)
which I didn't use, and when I boot up I get a JMicron 'detecting drives - no drives found' message and then windows finds
the hard drive and loads.
Could this be be what you are experiencing?

Regards keith263
m
l
January 31, 2010 5:26:54 PM

tecmo34 said:
Have you verified what SATA slot you should use per the manual? Sometimes the SATA slots are related to the RAID drives, so when you boot they are looking for a RAID setup. My EVGA X58 has a couple of those SATA slots and aren't designed except for RAID. After a second, the MOBO recongizes the hard drive and you are off and running.

I looked over the manual storage configuration section and it gives a blurp about "BIOS automatically detects the presense of SATA devices." I continue reading and there is a subsection on Storage Coinfiguration. Here it says that for each SATA port I can choose a SATA configuration of either: Disabled, Compatible or Enhanced. Right now the SATA 1 port that my HDD is on is set to Enhanced. The menu under it gives me three options: IDE, RAID, and AHCI. Right now it is set to IDE.

I only have one HDD installed at the moment. I assume RAID isn't what I want. I don't really know what enabling AHCI will do versus the default IDE. I cannot seem to find anything that states explictly what port to use. I just assumed that port 1 was correct port. I also don't see anything saying there is a restriction on port setup, as the manual suggests each port gives me the same options listed above assuming something is plugged into the port.

Again, thanks for everyone's help so far. I know troubleshoot isn't fun.
m
l

Best solution

February 12, 2010 2:19:33 AM

The "no hard drive detected" is the Marvell 9123 controller looking for a hard drive using the 6Gb SATA. If you are not using that just disable the Marvell controller in the Advanced section of the bios (Onboard Devices Configuration) see p. 3-22 of the owner's manual under 3.6.3. You will no longer see the "no hard drive detected" splash at the beginning of post.
February 23, 2010 2:08:01 AM

Best answer selected by Mr_E.
m
l
!