Reviving 8800gts

zlad

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Cause of death: spilled beer on it

Is there a way to revive it? I've heard something about a microwave technique...

Take the cooler off and the thermal pads. Clean the compound off the gpu then put the card under that tap and wash it t. Then blow the water with air from under each components then repeat the process. It works usually if nothing the spilled beer or drink doesn't remain on the card for long. If it has been there for a day or two the chances of being revived are small.

Do not put it in a microwave!
Just do as Nforce4max says, but be gentle and do not use any soap or detergent, just water, distilled or deionised water would be best, it can be bought at car parts or accessory shops, it's the stuff used to top-up batteries and is chemically pure so it will leave no residue.
Make sure to dry the card fully, leave it somewhere warm and dry for at least a day after you have dried it with a towel or compressed air.
Do not forget to put new thermal compound on the GPU during assembly and the old stuff is best removed using a paper towel moistened with pure alcohol, either surgical alcohol or isopropyl alcohol are widely available and leave no residue.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Cause of death: spilled beer on it

ROFLMAO! :lol:
Sorry, this is the first time I've heard of a graphics card dying because it got drunk on beer. Do what Nforce4max said, and keep your fingers crossed.

zlad

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

dunno if I'm gonna try it... it happened 2 months ago

r_manic

Administrator
I think you can let the liquid dry off properly. But I'm not sure what you can about any residue left behind. Does the card have instructions on how to clean it, especially on what cleaning solvents you can use, if any?

Again give it a good blast under the tap and the water should remove most if not all the residues but do it twice to make sure. Use compressed air or the old lungs to remove the water under the chips.