Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Tuner

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2010 2:16:16 PM

I just upgraded my old gaming system to an i7 recently and now I'm in the process of building an HTPC with my old Computer. I've done a lot of searching but haven't had the greatest success in locating a solid TV Tuner and or Video card. The following is the equipment that my gaming machine was.

Motherboard - ASRock P45R2000 Wifi

Memory - (2) OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Video Card - Radeon X1300 XGE

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

I'm not sure if I should stick with the X1300xge it is an old Video Card I have available for use or I can replace that Video Card with something better, I have considered going with an All in Wonder solution as well as going with a new Video Card and TV Tuner. Anyone that has built a HTPC that has the best picture quality and any suggestions I'm would definitely like to hear your Tuner and Video Card opinions and comments please.

More about : htpc tuner

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 11:31:27 PM

What's your budget for video card plus tuner?
m
l
February 1, 2010 6:20:31 PM

Don't really have one set, I figure I can easily drop 200-300 if I Get a top end video card just not sure if my current needs to be replaced or not. Tuners are generally 100-250 or so, Since this will be my main TV I want it to give the best quality possible.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 7:58:59 PM

We need to know a little more about your intended use of this system. What type of signal are you planning on recording? What TV are you going to be connecting to this system?

Without knowing the above info, I'll just give some general suggestions:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Retail $129.99

This tuner is great for recording HD OTA content at up to 1080i resolution.

SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail $89.99

The 5670 is a great HTPC card since it has plenty of power for HD content and supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA bitstreaming over HDMI.
m
l
February 1, 2010 11:30:39 PM

The Hauppauge 2250 that shortstuff_mt has linked is the one I'm going to get for one of my computers once I get the cable signal to that room.

Also, you should make sure you have or get XP Media Center Edition, Vista, or Win7 because I read time after time that the included Windows Media Center is better then the bundled software that all of the tuners I was looking at came with.
m
l
February 2, 2010 12:47:49 AM

Signal is from cable, It's currently connected to a 22 inch Widescreen Viewsonic vx2035wm, It will also have a split port to a Asus VW246H.

It's my primary source of TV in my bedroom/office.

I might connect it to an OTA as well for the 2nd port. It will be running Windows 7 Media Center, Since it is coming from a Digital cable box I'll be connecting it via the S Video or Composite connection.

I do a lot of streaming so I'll be running the Extrenal Audio channels from my cable box into the line in with a Y Adapter or if the TV Card has the Sound channels they will be connected to it.

Currently just using on board sound but considering up an upgraded solution as well.

Currrent Card is a - Pinnacle 800i it's not a bad card but I'm looking for better as you get what you paid for I have definitely got my $60 worth out of this card.
m
l
!