Sign in with
Your question

POWER SUPPLY INFO (What do i look for?)

Last response: in Components
April 7, 2010 1:47:33 PM

I believe the power supply i have is failing, my computer will only post every once in awhile, anyways i'm looking at buying a new power supply and im a huge gamer my current build is

4Gigs of ocz reaper
i have 4 or 5 hdds ( i honstly cant remember which ones i've put in and taken out)
p5n-e sli motherboard
nvidia geforce 9800gtx 512

and a coolermaster full tower steel case

i had the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V

More about : power supply info

April 7, 2010 1:48:50 PM

joshuajones02 said:
I believe the power supply i have is failing, my computer will only post every once in awhile, anyways i'm looking at buying a new power supply and im a huge gamer my current build is

4Gigs of ocz reaper
i have 4 or 5 hdds ( i honstly cant remember which ones i've put in and taken out)
p5n-e sli motherboard
nvidia geforce 9800gtx 512

and a coolermaster full tower steel case

i had the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V

i ment to add in what i should look for as specs for a power supply? what is important... friends told me that the rails are (should have atleast 2-4)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2010 2:25:36 PM

Well, I doubt that is your problem. If it is, I am surprised because you have a quality power supply with sufficient power.

Anyway, the number of rails do not matter (if you'll notice most high end PSUs have one rail). What matters is the combined wattage on the +12V rails because this is the power used for the CPU and GPU. Also do not make the mistake of thinking you can add the wattage on each rail to get the total usable. You will have to look at the manufacturer's information. Here is a good example:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards/mxsp_wattage...

Note the wattage on the +12V rails for each of the three power supplies.

Other than that just make sure you get a brand with a good reputation for reliability like OCZ, Corsair or Antec earthwatts. Sparkle PSUs have a tendency to be quieter. So do Seasonics but Seasonics will turn off their fan at times so it's not good if you need the PSU fan for your system.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2010 2:29:40 PM

thats what i tried telling my buddy hes hard headed know it all, anyways thanks, i believe its my mobo its not a ram or graphics card issue
m
l
April 7, 2010 4:39:45 PM

enzo matrix said:
Well, I doubt that is your problem. If it is, I am surprised because you have a quality power supply with sufficient power.

Anyway, the number of rails do not matter (if you'll notice most high end PSUs have one rail). What matters is the combined wattage on the +12V rails because this is the power used for the CPU and GPU. Also do not make the mistake of thinking you can add the wattage on each rail to get the total usable. You will have to look at the manufacturer's information. Here is a good example:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards/mxsp_wattage...

Note the wattage on the +12V rails for each of the three power supplies.

Other than that just make sure you get a brand with a good reputation for reliability like OCZ, Corsair or Antec earthwatts. Sparkle PSUs have a tendency to be quieter. So do Seasonics but Seasonics will turn off their fan at times so it's not good if you need the PSU fan for your system.

i just got back from testing my power supply, the lights -5V and PG did not light up? could this explain why it only boots up sometimes if the power good delay isnt working correctly?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2010 4:49:29 PM

The specs to look for in a quality PSU are active PFC, at least 80+ certification, and the majority of the output on the 12v rail(s). A quick way to tell if a PSU has active PFC is to look for a little red voltage switch on the back. If it has the switch, turn and run. That means it doesn't have active PFC and is best used as a door-stop. There are also some nice 80+ Bronze certified PSU's available with reasonable prices.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 7, 2010 7:41:36 PM

The problem with OCZ PSU's is that, depending on the model, they range from "pretty good" downward to two steps above junk depending on who makes them. That's why I do not recommend OCZ PSU's.

I'm old. I never can remember which are the good ones. :) 

The Corsairs are a good example of what to look for.

Corsair 400CX (30 amp 12 volt rail)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 450VX (33 amp 12 volt rail)

Corsair 550VX (41 amp 12 volt rail)

Corsair 650TX (52 amp 12 volt rail)
m
l
a c 124 ) Power supply
April 7, 2010 7:55:58 PM

shortstuff and jsc are right on. OCZ isn't junk, but is not in the same league as Antec (except the 430W Basiq which is mediocre), Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax. Still, the one you have should definitely be strong enough for your system, even if it is a little overrated.
How old is your system? If more than a year or two old, maybe you need to replace the CMOS battery and reset your BIOS. With your system unplugged or the PSU switch OFF (because otherwise the +5VSB rail is live), remove and reseat your cables, RAM, and GPU. When it fails to post, is there any beeping? Are fans running and/or LEDs on?
m
l
April 8, 2010 11:33:50 AM

Onus said:
shortstuff and jsc are right on. OCZ isn't junk, but is not in the same league as Antec (except the 430W Basiq which is mediocre), Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax. Still, the one you have should definitely be strong enough for your system, even if it is a little overrated.
How old is your system? If more than a year or two old, maybe you need to replace the CMOS battery and reset your BIOS. With your system unplugged or the PSU switch OFF (because otherwise the +5VSB rail is live), remove and reseat your cables, RAM, and GPU. When it fails to post, is there any beeping? Are fans running and/or LEDs on?

i've tried resetting the bios it worked shortly after (i dont know if this was just a coincidence) but my system does work it just works randomly, ill have to power on, power off, power on power off until it posts and then boots up, i used a power supply tester and tested the power on my psu several times and it never showed that the PG was okay, and i tested another known working power supply and it said that power supply was good, so i just came to this reasoning
m
l
April 8, 2010 11:36:20 AM

Onus said:

and yes i've tried reseating and resetting everything, no there no beeping my ram is fine ( that was my first thought) i swaped out another computers ram with mine and the other computer worked great with my ram but still the same problem on my machine, its not the Graphics card i've swaped those out also, but leds and fans do turn on
m
l
a c 124 ) Power supply
April 8, 2010 9:43:48 PM

Well then, it sounds like your PSU. It may not have died of stress, but perhaps it was just a bad one.
Depending on any future upgrade plans you have, a quality 500W-550W PSU would be a sufficient replacement for any single video card except HD5970 or GTX480; 600W-650W for one of those.

Edit: btw, "banging" your system with lots of power-cycles is not likely to be very good for it. I'd replace that PSU ASAP.
m
l
!