Which Video Card to get?

Jaguro88

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I'm building a rig right now.

It's going to be mostly for Guildwars 2, Battlefield 3, and Borderlands 2.

I was thinking of getting Radeon HD 7950 (XFX) but when I started looking what's good for Borderlands 2. I'm seeing a lot of people having problems with Radeon HD Video Cards with Phys X on. I'll be either getting the CPU i5-3570k/2500k Max oc'ing will be 4.2-4.4.

What you guys think?

I'm either getting GTX 660 Ti or 670 or Radeon 7950 or 7870 GHz Edition.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for fps.

I'm not using 3 monitors but only two. One screen for gaming as I don't like the gaps in between them.

I was pretty sold on 7950 with Battefield 3 Ultra settings but now I'm not sure because of Borderlands 2.

What do you guys think?

Solution
Since you're in the overclocking section, you might want to steer towards the AMD cards. They tend to overclock a little better. The GTX 670 is still an excellent card though, overclock or not.

The GTX 660 Ti is a bit of a mixed bag because of its memory limitation. In some cases it serves up awesome performance and in others it's disappointing.

PS: PhysX is a proprietary Nvidia thing. AMD cards aren't supposed to work with it.
Since you're in the overclocking section, you might want to steer towards the AMD cards. They tend to overclock a little better. The GTX 670 is still an excellent card though, overclock or not.

The GTX 660 Ti is a bit of a mixed bag because of its memory limitation. In some cases it serves up awesome performance and in others it's disappointing.

PS: PhysX is a proprietary Nvidia thing. AMD cards aren't supposed to work with it.

Solution

xtwiinky

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
7950 is really the best value. 310$ for 90% of the performance of the 7970 for 70% of the cost.

Physx is a really nice idea and effect, mabey overhyped but i would say worth it.

Overclocking an AMD vs Nvidia card is definetly more benificial. AMD cards get twice the preformance gain than Nvidia cards from overclocking. Altough its not quite as big of a gap as you might think, the 680 hold very well at 1200mhz in benchmarks.