Gskill question

Hi there,

I just built my first pc (on a budget). I used 2gb of g.skill F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ. I have heard mixed reviews on this memory. I will be using my pc for some gaming. Do you guys have any insight on this ram? If it's a good performer I'll probably grab more....if not, is it ok to mix types of ram?

I'm running a phenom ii x4 955 and asus mobo. Thanks for any info you have on this model of ram.
9 answers Last reply
More about gskill question
  1. spiralizer said:
    Hi there,

I just built my first pc (on a budget). I used 2gb of g.skill F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ. I have heard mixed reviews on this memory. I will be using my pc for some gaming. Do you guys have any insight on this ram? If it's a good performer I'll probably grab more....if not, is it ok to mix types of ram?

I'm running a phenom ii x4 955 and asus mobo. Thanks for any info you have on this model of ram.

From everything I have heard/seen this is great RAM.

I would ask what the top speed your motherboard can handle for the RAM? One can buy faster RAM with lower latency, depending on your budget. Oh and define "mixing types of ram", please. Do you mean you want to put different speeds/size/types of RAM in a pair of slots or in different slots?
  2. Thanks for the response.

Maybe it would be helpful to just give my system specs. They are as follows:

-Amd phenom ii x4 955 BE
    -Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
    -2gb G.Skill DDR3 (see above for model)
    -OCZ 700w PSU
    -WD 360 gb HDD
    -Lancool case x3 fans

By mixing ram, I meant like would it be recommended if I were to stick a pair of Ripjaws in the other two memory slots? Also, I am smack dab in the middle of being a noob at all this stuff. My build did work though, so I must be doing something right! Also, I'm not real sure how or even if I should change ram timings and all that. I'm sure it's in BIOS but I don't want to mess anything up! Thanks again!
  3. spiralizer said:
    Thanks for the response.

Maybe it would be helpful to just give my system specs. They are as follows:

-Amd phenom ii x4 955 BE
    -Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
    -2gb G.Skill DDR3 (see above for model)
    -OCZ 700w PSU
    -WD 360 gb HDD
    -Lancool case x3 fans

By mixing ram, I meant like would it be recommended if I were to stick a pair of Ripjaws in the other two memory slots? Also, I am smack dab in the middle of being a noob at all this stuff. My build did work though, so I must be doing something right! Also, I'm not real sure how or even if I should change ram timings and all that. I'm sure it's in BIOS but I don't want to mess anything up! Thanks again!

Here's the match which will install no problems or setting changes.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006125&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147%7C20-231-307%5E20-231-307-TS%2C20-231-149%5E20-231-149-TS
  4. Thank you so much for that comparison! Very cool of you, Davcon!
  5. +1 to Davcon.

With a motherboard like you've got, it should automatically match everything so it runs smoothly. Getting a RAM stick like that Ripjaw could be very useful but not necessary.
  6. You have both been very helpful. Finished the build today...it feels great to have a pc that isn't 7 years old! Makwy...it looks like we have similar builds, is your pc the beast I think it is?
  7. spiralizer said:
    You have both been very helpful. Finished the build today...it feels great to have a pc that isn't 7 years old! Makwy...it looks like we have similar builds, is your pc the beast I think it is?

Oh yeah, I love it. It was my first build and I made a lot of mistakes that I am slowly fixing day to day but I replaced a computer that was 6.5 years old at the time and I couldn't be happier! My new focus is on re-building my old computer with a replaced cpu/mobo/ram and making my current beast ("BlackDeath") quieter.

Good Luck, I know you'll love it just as much as I did!
  8. One more question. I have 4 slots in my mobo for ram. 2 are light blue, the other 2 are dark blue. I have my current 2 sticks installed in channel A. Does it matter what slots the ram is inserted in?
  9. spiralizer said:
    One more question. I have 4 slots in my mobo for ram. 2 are light blue, the other 2 are dark blue. I have my current 2 sticks installed in channel A. Does it matter what slots the ram is inserted in?

Most motherboards I've run into don't care much BUT I would look that up in the motherboard's guidebook. Some mobos are finicky about RAM placement. As long as each set is in a different color set you should be fine!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM