Noise issue with a power supply

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hi, I just finished building my first pc. I followed the sticky in "New System Builds" to put it together properly. Everything booted up off the bat, and works perfectly. My only problem is that the psu is making a very annoying buzzing sound. At first I thought I'd ignore it but after a day of using it, I can't stand it. It isn't a skimpy psu, and its a respected brand name. Do you think I should return it or is it to be expected from power supplies? The psu says that it's supposed to be ultra quiet. It is, as in the fans are only audible with the side door panel open. But that buzzing sound can be heard up to ten feet away. Here is the psu I got.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

what do you think i should do? thanks in advance for your help.

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

thanks i will try this and let you know whether that fixed it or not

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I tried what you suggested to no avail. But I also have more information. Now that I installed windows vista, the sound seems to stop when im just sitting on the desktop. But when I do anything that requires a little power (like opening up a web browser) the sound starts and stops when I am not doing anything with the web browser. The sound is constant when I am booting up or in the bios menu, as well as when I play a game. Some people suggested turning off power save features to stop the sound and that did nothing. Has anyone had any similar problems? I really don't want to RMA and have to wait 2 weeks before I can use my pc... but if I have to I will. Thanks again in advance