Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Single 5970 or Dual 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 24, 2010 4:20:52 PM

Hi,
I am buiding a new system Plan is a I7 920 or 950. I am using a ASUS P6TX58 delux mobo, Meghelms cooler push pull cooling config, Corsair Dominator GT (6GB) Ram, Cooler Master P32 HAF tower, and a Corsair HX850TX pow3er supply, Caviar Black HD 1TB. Anyway I am stuck on the best way to go for the GPU and Montitor. I am considering either a single 5970 or a a dual card set up. Any thoughts welcome, also need a good monitor suggestion something good for mgaming and general use graphics.

Thanks,
Ahead of time,
RCC

More about : single 5970 dual 5870

a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2010 4:41:15 PM

Sounds like a nice build, i would go for the i7 920 and asus p6x58d premium motherboard because the 920 is cheaper and a beast of a overclocker and the motherboard supports sata3 and usb3.0.

well dual 5870 performs a little better than a single 5970 but is also more expensive and produces more heat. i would advise you to go for a single 5970.

and the monitor i would probably go for a good 24" full HD.

oh and change the hard drive for a samsung spinpoint f3 because it is faster then the black.
January 24, 2010 5:17:39 PM

i would go for the 5970 because it is cheaper, uses somewhat less power and leaves you the option to add another in a year or so. two 5970s would be overkill right now, but in the future you might find the card lacking a bit and it would be nice to have an upgrade path. for the difference in price you can almost afford to water cool the 5970 which make your system much quieter and you could overclock it a decent amount.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2010 5:25:14 PM

If you have a good powersupply, you can overclock the 5970 to very close to the performance of two 5870s...so you'll be getting $800 performance by spending only $600. :D 
January 24, 2010 5:38:26 PM

Derbixrace said:
Sounds like a nice build, i would go for the i7 920 and asus p6x58d premium motherboard because the 920 is cheaper and a beast of a overclocker and the motherboard supports sata3 and usb3.0.

well dual 5870 performs a little better than a single 5970 but is also more expensive and produces more heat. i would advise you to go for a single 5970.

and the monitor i would probably go for a good 24" full HD.

oh and change the hard drive for a samsung spinpoint f3 because it is faster then the black.



Actually I made an error I did buy the Premium for some reason I keep wanting to call it a deluxe. Too late on the drive I already have it in the mail, I am kicking the idea around to maybe put a SSD in for the OS and basic Applications.

Do you have any suggections on monitor brand, I am definately going 23 or 24" HD.

And Thanks for the quick reply. I am concerned with teh 5970 as I have seen some bad reviews concerning driver support ect on new egg.

Again Thanks.
January 24, 2010 5:41:25 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
If you have a good powersupply, you can overclock the 5970 to very close to the performance of two 5870s...so you'll be getting $800 performance by spending only $600. :D 



850Watt corsair HX850TX.
January 24, 2010 5:47:12 PM

ewood said:
i would go for the 5970 because it is cheaper, uses somewhat less power and leaves you the option to add another in a year or so. two 5970s would be overkill right now, but in the future you might find the card lacking a bit and it would be nice to have an upgrade path. for the difference in price you can almost afford to water cool the 5970 which make your system much quieter and you could overclock it a decent amount.



You pretty hit my dilema, like I mentioned in another reply I have been seeing some users complaining about drivers on some of the cards n newegg and tiger. But I would like to be overkill now and then have the upgrade path. I could do water cooling funds aren't so much an issue, but I don't want to have the exrta maintenance, I like the idea of dusting every so often and being done with it. I am a Sys Admin and after doing maintenance all day I really just want to relax.

Any particular brand you would suggest for the GPU? From what I can tell the prices are running closer to $650.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2010 6:01:29 PM

cuningr said:
Actually I made an error I did buy the Premium for some reason I keep wanting to call it a deluxe. Too late on the drive I already have it in the mail, I am kicking the idea around to maybe put a SSD in for the OS and basic Applications.

Do you have any suggections on monitor brand, I am definately going 23 or 24" HD.

And Thanks for the quick reply. I am concerned with teh 5970 as I have seen some bad reviews concerning driver support ect on new egg.

Again Thanks.


well i dont know so much about monitors so its better if i keep my mouth shut about them :D 

i dont have the 5970 so i cannot tell about the driver issues but i have a feeling that its not so much to worry about. if i were buying i would still go for a 5970 because of being able to put another in crossfire in the future and drivers do mature :) 
!