Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Update BIOS A02 to A11?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2012 8:47:04 AM

I'm upgrading an old computer (Dell Dimension 4100). I'm putting in a new HD 120GB among other things. My current BIOS is a A02 and I need to update it to A11. I went to the support.dell.com site and it gives me two options to download the update onto a floppy. Is there an easier way? Can someone give me directions on how to update the BIOS. I downloaded the information on a disk but I don't know what to do next. Thank you.

More about : update bios a02 a11

a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2012 10:50:13 AM

neiru said:
I'm upgrading an old computer (Dell Dimension 4100). I'm putting in a new HD 120GB among other things. My current BIOS is a A02 and I need to update it to A11. I went to the support.dell.com site and it gives me two options to download the update onto a floppy. Is there an easier way? Can someone give me directions on how to update the BIOS. I downloaded the information on a disk but I don't know what to do next. Thank you.

put the disk in the floppy drive and boot from it. the flash program will run at bootup and flash your bios. just dont lose power or turn the pc off till the flashing is done.
October 5, 2012 5:39:55 PM

sounds easy, but do I just go to the BIOS page...press delete before the windows title comes up and from there I just boot it. I'm new to computers. I went to the bios page but didn't know what to choose to boot from the floppy..i'm such a newb.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2012 9:55:12 PM

in the bios it have a menu called boot devices. 1.2.3.4.5...most times dell set it to cd-rom as one and hd and 2. you have to use the page up key and set the floppy drive as the first device.
October 8, 2012 3:07:23 AM

I put in a new HD. I'm getting a invalid book diskette. Insert Boot diskette in A:

Apparently the disk I have is not working. It doesn't seem like I can go to the main screen anymore.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2012 4:30:55 AM

the bios screen is going to tell you at post (del)(f1) or another key. with a floppy disk you have to make it bootable there are few free tools for that.
http://www.allbootdisks.com/
October 8, 2012 8:47:25 AM

smorizio said:
the bios screen is going to tell you at post (del)(f1) or another key. with a floppy disk you have to make it bootable there are few free tools for that.
http://www.allbootdisks.com/

How does this work? Do I just use a Windows XP boot..I had windows XP on the computer? I originally wanted to update the bios to a11. I put in the new HD and I'm getting this insert boot diskette for now. I reconnected the old HD and everything works fine.
October 15, 2012 8:50:32 AM

Best answer selected by neiru.
!