Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 radiator fans = higher CPU OC?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2012 10:25:51 AM

MODERATORS: I put this thread in the wrong category, can you please move it to the General Discussion category instead. Would be very thankfull!

Hello my friends.

Dont realy know where to place this when it stretches over more sub-categorys but I write it here.
My thread is about both CPU watercooling and radiator fan-cooling, CPU OC, memory OC, GPU OC, PSU overvolting to components and Watt measuring.

My rig:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 1366
Intel i7 960 3.20GHz
MSI N460GTX HAWK (SLI) GPU
Corsair HX850W 80+ PSU
Corsair H60 watercooling
Corsair Vengeance 4GB (4x6=24GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM "for 1366 chipsets" (a bad word I know but cannot find the right words) so you know how I mean with their own Volts and Watts. I know nothing about that, hope you know ;) 

Corsair addict :D  = VEW (very empty wallet)...

Have done everything with OC in BIOS so you know.

Have managed to crank up my CPU from 3.20GHz to 3.625GHz. It does´nt go over 77 degrees C ( dgC ) in Intel Extreme Tuning Utillity stress test for 20 minutes both for CPU and RAM (RAM test is interestingly stressing the CPU and northbridge to much higher temperatures than CPU test). Northbridge temp has sunked from 65 to 57 dgC when mounting a fan over it. Have replaced the 4-pin PWM orginal Corsair fan with a 3-pin Noctua mounted inside with the screws from outside the case back end, as it should be mounted. Nearly soon I saw there was holes for mounting the radiator on both sides but did´nt reflect and thought of that fact that its possible to have 2 fans on each side of it. To get to my main question of this thread I wonder if 2 fans on the radiator would open a new door to OC my CPU even more and still remain with the temp I wrote? It would surely cool off my radiator better, but would the pumphead realy also cool the CPU more than it does today, or is it not able/thought to handle more cooling effect than it was ment to do, regardless how good the radiator is cooled?

The problem with OC is that when turning up the BCLK you also automaticly (and very unwanted and anoying) turning up the DRAM. To make it even more (wors/wurs/dont know how to spell) it also is turning up the northbridge, which as to say, has a central role nowdays. As I have understand it the northbridge has become into a small "bridge-CPU or nb-CPU" own by itself when Intel lanced the first generation Bloomfield Bridge processors and with that technology the whole basic arkichecture for memory handling and the older backbone for CPU OC become totally inside out. Instead of just simple tune up the CPU and RAM individually the northbridge now plays a major kee role in every aspect of OC, and this is why I have troubbles with keeping the northbridge NOT to interfer and automaticly mess with my attempt to OC by insist to change the numbers I have enter in one of the two ways. Am I right in this? Please correct me if Im wrong!

As I wrote in the spec my RAMs have the speed of 1600MHz, but the motherboard automaticly downgrade the bus speed to 1066MHz regardless to which speed it is suppost to have, when using every slot the MB have. Cant came up with any reason why at all and would love to strangle the person who invented this idé :fou:  I dont realy planing to OC my RAMs more than nesseserly but want to OC it back to its orginal speed. When OC both CPU and RAM I have experimented alot with every possible thing I could imagen to do, tried with XMP and DOCP but failed every time to create a higher BCLK and DRAM and still get somewhat normal relationship between those two features in form of a resonable numbers of what they do to both components. Whatever I choose to tune up BCLK or DRAM they interfer with eachother, and the DRAM bus speed lets you only be able to choose between 1800 or a sum way over 2000MHz :ange:  Tried to run Windows with those settings but it became unstable and got troubble to boot. ASUS have their own CPU OC tool which let you choose between 3.60 or 3.85GHz but this ends up with the fact that the DRAM bus shows very strange numbers. In the end I came to a conclution that I have to setup this in manuall mode. If I remember this correctly I first was able to raise DRAM from 1066-1330 by tune up BCLK to 145 and then got a list there I could choose 1453MHz, and CPU bus speed became as I wrote 3.625GHz. Works good and stable. Thus I realy want to OC so I at least can come up to the RAMs ordinary speed as it was ment to be. Can this be done and if so how?

Now to a question I in fact only know one thing about: QPI/DRAM uncore V is not to play with if you dont know what you (I) are doing and that if you want to overvolting this it must be in steps of 0.15V if I remember correctly what BIOS are warning about! The default QPI/DRAM uncore V is 1.00000 V and when it came up to 1330MHz it automaticly crank it up to 1.48125 V, after that change it now takes a little bit longer than before until the classic boot-peepsound appears but everything works fine and is stable. When tune the bus speed up to 1453MHz BIOS was asking me if I wanted it to automaticly change the voltage even higher to match the new speed, I dont remember how much that sum was about to be but it was on its way to 1.8. I did´nt dare to let it do that especially when BIOS told me to only rise the V with 0.15 per step. Dont know a thing of messing with latency and those strange words and numbers, but wonder if I can get my RAMs to go a little bit faster with finetuning the V/W togheter with some small changes, but only in very small steps? Or should I let it be as it is and dont mess with it? What are your experiences of doing this, did you got several problems as soon you started to play, or did those problems appeared later when you started to go on the edge? Planning to have my RAMs for at least 10 years since I never ever again can buy and build a new PC with this high-end standard as I have today (every components is high-end thus some are a bit older than what you can buy this year, it has just laying in the box and waited for me to open them a year or two). Therefore I am very careful of what Im doing with this PC and dont want to overdo this OC but still want to play with it. The memory and V numbers are as below:

Memory multiplier: 10x
tCL: 9 (guess this is the main latency)?
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24
tRRD: 5
tWR: 10
tRPT: 7
Uncore multiplier: 20x
tFAW: 20
Memory sped: 1453MHz
Uncore speed: 2900MHz (why is this so extremly high next to memory speed,
the only thing I´ve experied is that its burning the northbridge)?

Memory voltage: 1.3800 V
Core voltage: 1.30000 V
Uncore voltage: 1.48125 V
ICH voltage: 1.10 V
IOH voltage: 1.10 v
Intel QuickPath interconnect multiplier & speed: 48x / 6.96 GT/s (what on earth is GT/s)?

When Im still speaking of V&W, where can I download a small program that is showing realtime W consuming/producing, to see how many W my components in a total sum is eating of/from/by the PSU? Dont want an entire program suit that messure everything. Have already ASUS PC Probe II (CPU, NB and MB temps), it can also show 5, 7 & 12V but that is in no use for me. Next to that I also have Intel Turbo Boost Meter and Windows gadget Processor and RAM usage, all in a corner on my screen. Have being in contact with Corsair but they only recomend me to search for all those small PC sites that exist on the whole net, the problem with this is that most of them are very strange and full of comersial crap :heink: 

Have of couse also played with my GPUs. Using MSI Afterburner (a wonderful and easy to use program). Have managed to OC Core clock from 780-815MHz and Memory clock from 1700-1945MHz (its NOT 3600/3900 as they write in the spec, thats something compleatly else but dont know what it is). Please explain what they mean with that someone! The Afterburner have also a wonderfull fan controller that you self stageless/stepless can make up to 7 points and draw them to which temp and RPM% you want. Even that they are "dead silent/soundless" by the manufactor the fans realy screams in around 36-40 db at full speed, very load to me that only uses fans that at max RPM at the highest sounds 25 db in my quiet home enviroment. It must be a very noisy office with shouting people and radios playing to use the term "dead silent"... I know that many gamers use GPUs thats roaring in a noise like a vacum cleaner and have the attitude "I am a gamer - I dont care about noise", but friend of reality - if so they must have huge speakers at full throttle or wearing doubble earplugs :sarcastic:  And I wonder what their neighbours think of having screaming PCs hold them awake all night long...

I chosed those MSI GPU cards because they had the most wellbuilt watercooling system of every other brands that was making cards with the same platform, but that led to an unsuspected problem. I chosed the Sabertooth motherboard because it had 16x16 SLI PCIe support and most of all that it had a GPU size space between the two slots = can take 2 realy huge graphic cards. To my big dissapointment it showed out to be that my MSI cards was so king size mammouth huge that the upper one just got 5 mm air space next to the card under :cry:  So my problem is that the upper card almost got no air at all to cool the GPU, when benchmarking them the upper one is say 80 dgC hot and the lower is comfortable 65 dgC. Have mounted 2 80 mm fans that are blowing into that small space and through the space between the cards up and downside, it surly must cool the card itself but not the GPU :(  Before I was constructing a airtunnel with 2 big fan houses to blow strait along the GPUs and out on the backside but my case is so full of things that it became impossible to make room for it. The only way to solve this is to buy a motherboard with 4 16x16 PCIe slots, but it cant be a eATX board since I "only" have a huge fulltower with 7 slots at the back side of it. Does it still exist such motherboards for my socket and 3x3 RAMs in Europe?

Have had extremly few money left after buying my monster PC a year ago and in february this year I´ve been outstampled/kicked out from our swedish social illnes remuneration I´ve been in for 10 years so my new "salary" is -5600 from my ordinary 8500 SEK, hard to buy PC parts for that... But now I think I in some way can afford a new motherboard if there is any left to buy. Would be happy if someone got any advices!

THIS IS THE REAL TRUTH OF THE SWEDISH "WELLNESS MODEL", THERE IS 500.000 OF 8 MILLION
OTHER PEOPLES IN MY COUNTRY THATS IN MY SITUATION. DONT FOLLOW OUR "MODEL"! :fou:  :heink:  :non: 

PS. This is NOT a political statement or propaganda in any way and shall not be judged as it by anyone, its just the truth! A truth worth to mention in times like this. If a moderator feels this is unwanted you can always erase this last parts of the texts but please dont close the thread ;) 

/Darth

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2012 5:32:21 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

here are a few boards that will give you a full slot between your cards i like Asus but thay both seem to be strong boards
October 5, 2012 8:54:16 PM

Thanks but I have 1 generation i7 LGA 1366. Both motherboards is for 2 generation i7 LGA 2011. The socket dont support my CPU. Extremly sad when I realy want those mammouth MBs.
Related resources
October 18, 2012 3:24:02 PM

Can anyone please answer my qustions about OC?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 2:20:08 AM

I'm not sure I want to read through the entire post to figure out what your questions actually are. If you are overclocking...have you Googled how to overclock your hardware and learned how to use the info?

Is this an overclocking question or a watercooling question?
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 4:25:54 AM

TL:D R please?

October 31, 2012 12:12:49 AM

Best answer selected by DarthTengil.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2012 3:54:01 AM

thanks for the BA man
!