Core i7 - requires 3rd party video card?

mpl04

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I haven't been able to find a concrete answer on this. Please don't ask "why?": If I am planning to use a Core i7 processor, is it 100% necessary to also have an NVIDIA or ATI add-on video card or can I use basic onboard video?

I have a Matrox Parhelia APVe video card. PCIe x16 128 MB, how can I ensure that this will be compatible with an i7 processor? Do I not need to worry about these things if I go with an i5?

Solution
There are no X58 motherboards that have integrated graphics. The answer to your question is, YES you have to get a discreet GPU with an i7 system. The only current Intel chips that offer integrated graphics are dual core i3 and i5 chips. They only output video when paired with an H55 or H57 chipset motherboard. There are NO current Intel quad core chips that have integrated graphics.

mpl04

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The reason this question is even in my mind is that when configuring an Optiplex 980 via Dell's website, it states "Intel Core i7 8XX processors require a discrete graphics card." You are forced to select an ATI video card in order to purchase a system. I asked a representative Why? and he stated that the Optiplex 980 motherboard's VGA chipset is not compatible with the i7...?

Perhaps if I pose the question in this manner: If I were to go to Newegg and purchase an i7 processor, a compatible motherboard with onboard video, and compatible RAM and stuck them in a case with no video card; could I expect the system to run? (psu etc etc aside obv)

There are no X58 motherboards that have integrated graphics. The answer to your question is, YES you have to get a discreet GPU with an i7 system. The only current Intel chips that offer integrated graphics are dual core i3 and i5 chips. They only output video when paired with an H55 or H57 chipset motherboard. There are NO current Intel quad core chips that have integrated graphics.

Solution

mpl04

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Excellent! That's what I needed to know. So I can safely purchase a Dell system with an i7 & whatever their cheapest video card available is, get the system, uninstall and remove the video card and install my Matrox video card and be in business... correct? I know it should be obvious but the Dell tech's response threw me for a loop.

Thanks again

Yes, you could do that. I wouldn't buy a Dell, though. You get a much higher quality system if you build it yourself. I would go over to the "Homebuilt Systems" section of the forum and post in the format found in the "How to ask for new build advice" sticky. We could spec out a system for you that would be optimized to your intended use and budget. OEM's like Dell cut corners anywhere they can, especially on the PSU and RAM.

there's no reason your matrox would not work, providing matrox have released drivers for the operating system you have used.

tseay11

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
The CPU / Chip industry is on the verge of a revolution in chip-making that will include Video on CPU. You just need to wait a few more years for "system-on-chip" to be developed. In the meantime i7 will always need discrete video.