Overclocking Questions

G

I have read several articles covering the overclocking of computers for gaming because I am considering building an overclockable gaming rig early next year. Reliability is one of the things I consider most important. Depending on the answers to my questions, I will decide whether or not I should look at overclockable hardware components. My questions are as followed:

1. When I adjust the various settings in the BIOS such as those for the CPU, RAM, power supply, and/or video card will those adjusted settings remain even if I am doing things other than gaming such as Microsoft Word or Web browsing?

2. If the overclock settings remain constant and can only be changed manually, even when I am not doing heavily demanding PC tasks, will the temperatures and power consumption of the various hardware components still remain above the normal levels found at normal settings?

3. Is there a way to set the overclockable components to overclock when I am playing a game and then return to normal settings automatically when I am finished with the game?

4. I am looking at a high end Intel i5 or i7 CPU and 120Hz Monitor. Even without overclocking, would I still be able to play PC games on max settings with a high end video card?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
1. It depends on how you overclock. A static overclock will keep your clock speed and voltage the same 24/7. A dynamic overclock will lower voltage and clock speed when under light load. (like stock settings -with the exception of RAM)

2. With a static overclock, heat and power consumption will be higher than if you allow your CPU to downclock. However you really should use aftermarket cooling if you overclock so temps *could* be fine with good cooling.

3. The dynamic overclcock will allow your CPU to increase clock speed under load. (including video games) MSI afterburner overclocks your video card dynamically by default.

4. Yes, if the video card is "high-end" enough.

G

With regard to question 1, If I used dynamic overclock:

a. Would the lower voltage and clock speed be either equal or very close to normal levels?

b. If the motherboard was designed to overclock the RAM up to 2400Mhz Memory Speed would it be best to go with RAM sticks that have a default memory speed of
2400MHz since the overclock speed would equal the default memory speed?

For question 2:

a. For dynamic overclock, would a high-end cooling fan be sufficient, along with high-end 120 or 200 mm cooling fans for the case or would I need liquid cooling?

b. Also on the subject of cooling fans, should I get fans with higher rpm rates and would higher rpm rated fans be quieter at normal levels? I want the cooling fans to be as quiet as possible under normal settings but provide as much cooling for overclocking.

For question 3:

Are you saying that an MSI motherboard would automatically overclock my video card and do Asus or GYGABYTE offer this feature?

For question 4:

Would I have stuttering issues with a high-end enough video card without overclocking while using either an Intel i5-3570 or i7-3770?