Sign in with
Your question

If using 2 SSDs and SRT, will it attempt to cache from the storage SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2012 2:37:47 PM

I'm not sure if I'm asking this right, or even understand it wholly, but according to what I've learned on the web about the Z68 SRT function, if I had a 128G SSD, the MB would use 64G of that for caching, and the remaining 64G would be assigned as a drive, lets call it C: Lets say I also had a WD black 500G for large files, let's call it F: So I load my OS and a couple programs on the C portion of the SSD, then I fill the HDD with music, pictures, movies, etc. I understand that if I request a file from the HDD, it will cache in the SSD first, then load, and if I need it again before it's evicted, it'll be right there in a hurry. What I can't find out though, is if I request a file from the C portion of the SSD, will it simply bypass the cache and load, or will it cache to the other half of the SSD before loading? If the latter is the case, then it seems using the feature that allows you to 'split' the SSD into cache/storage would be silly, because the system is just going to cache everything. However, if all data on the C portion of the SSD just loads directly, that'd be a stinky fast setup.
February 1, 2012 5:49:33 PM

Well, is there any way I can call Intel and ask them, or will I get re-directed to India and have to listen to someone read answers off a screen?
February 2, 2012 6:35:24 AM

I believe and I could be wrong, that the SRT cashing only works for 1 hdd, hdd raid 0, or equivalent. By this i mean the ssd works on only one logic drive F: in your example. Meaning the SRT is assigned to your hdd so it will not cash your ssd as it is a diferent logic drive ( C: in your example).

Note the SRT partition will be considered to be raided with your hdd. So lets say you used the max 64GB for SRT, you would have a C: ssd partition, and then you would have a F: ssd cashed 500G drive (the other half of the 128G ssd). With 564GB max capacity, as you lose the 64G storage to cashing.
Related resources
February 3, 2012 1:30:40 AM

I don't understand RAID, and as I'm just getting back into computer hardware, I'm not following you at all.
February 3, 2012 10:12:17 AM

'Raid 0' make more then one hdd function like one to your computer.

In the case of having a SRT on a 128G ssd, you can only use 64G, so you are left over with a partitioned drive on the ssd.

The ssd portion used for SRT is then used to cash one hdd or raid. In this case only one drive is benefiting from the cashing.

Since only the hdd is cashed it will not cash anything from the ssd partition.

So the short answer is no it will not cash anything on the partition of the ssd.
February 3, 2012 10:26:27 AM

So if you were big into video editing or some other data heavy applications, and had say 4 x 1TB HDDs and a 64G SSD using SRT, The SSD would only cache one of the HDDs? Or, does this RAID deal allow you lump the 4 HDDs into 1 'drive' and the enire array would be cached through the SSD?
February 3, 2012 1:27:07 PM

your correct that if you raid them then the ssd could cash all 4 hhd, because to the computer they are all one logic drive.
February 3, 2012 2:27:51 PM

Ok, so basically, if I get a big enough SSD to cache 64G on one half, then put my OS, antivirus, and a couple often used programs on the other half (my C: drive), so long as my WD (F: drive) is in a different RAID array, it'll boot directly off the C: half of the SSD, but cache everything coming in from the F: drive?
February 3, 2012 7:55:37 PM

yes you are correct.
May 17, 2012 2:06:17 AM

thedoublej said:
Ok, so basically, if I get a big enough SSD to cache 64G on one half, then put my OS, antivirus, and a couple often used programs on the other half (my C: drive), so long as my WD (F: drive) is in a different RAID array, it'll boot directly off the C: half of the SSD, but cache everything coming in from the F: drive?

I am very curious how this worked for you. I have very similar hardware, all i need is an SSD and would like to use this configuration. I've seen other posts that this "should" work, but i haven't heard any success stories yet.
May 17, 2012 3:37:20 AM

Keat, what I found out is that no one on earth actually uses the SRT function, and only a handful of people even understand the concept. I gave up and put a raptor in my build. Once HDD prices get normal and SSD prices get cheap, I'm gonna re-address this and the RAID issue, but it probably won't be until the end of the year. I am pretty confident that what's listed above should work, but at current prices, I'm not quite ready to risk it.
a c 277 G Storage
May 17, 2012 2:20:24 PM

Keatklein, listen to thedoublej and don't do this.

With all due respect to psychodegu, SRT is not RAID0. It's not RAID at all, it just requires the controllers to be set to RAID mode. No RAID volume is built.

SRT was intended to make SSDs that are too small for a full OS installation useful, by making them a cache for the HDD. This works by looking at data that is read frequently from the HDD, copying it to the SSD, and redirecting future reads of that small subset of what's on the HDD to the SSD.

If you have an SSD large enough for your OS, it makes more sense to install your OS on it. In some rare cases, it may make sense to also cache the data on the HDD, but this would be pretty unlikely.

!