Windows cannot be installed to this disk.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Hey guys,

Just got a Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD and want to do a clean install of Windows 7 64bit on to it.

However, when I get to the 'Where do you want to install windows?' screen, I get the error message:

'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.'

Any suggestions?

Additional information:

Specs are in my signature
I do no have another HDD plugged in (it is to the PSU, but not via SATA to the mobo)

Gallarian

Distinguished
Im in the bios now, (on these forums using my laptop) under the Boot tab and I have these options:

Priorities:
Boot Option 1 - SATA: HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GSA-H31L
Boot Option 2 - UEFI: HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GSA-H31L

(I can only choose SATA or UEFI for each option)

Gallarian

Distinguished
Edit: Now Im in the advanced tab I can see this:

Advanced/Storage Priorites:

Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode: IDE Mode
Bootable: No

SATA Mode: IDE Mode
Controller 0: Compatible
Controller1: Enabled
Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T: Disabled

SATA3_0: Not Detected
SATA3_1: Not Detected
SATA2_2: HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GSA-H3 ATAP1
SATA2_3: Not Detected
SATA2_4: Not Detected
SATA2_5: Not Detected

DarkMatterTrace

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hi sorry for the lengthy reply Ill pay more attention to the thread updates.

Anyway I was a bit unprecise in the last post:

Go to "Advanced Tab"
Select "Storage Con" (not boot one), then there should be an option to set IDE or AHCI mode.

EDIT: ok can you change the IDE mode to SATA or AHCI? (you should be able accourding to the manual)

let me know if it works

Gallarian

Distinguished
I figured out what the problem was regarding the bios not showing the SSD - I had it plugged into a marvel SATA3 socket.

Ive now reconnected it to the recommended intel one, and it now shows up so the screen looks like this:

Advanced/Storage Priorites:

Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode: IDE Mode
Bootable: No

SATA Mode: IDE Mode
Controller 0: Compatible
Controller1: Enabled
Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T: Disabled

SATA3_0: Corsair Force 3 SSD
SATA3_1: Not Detected
SATA2_2: HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GSA-H3 ATAP1
SATA2_3: Not Detected
SATA2_4: Not Detected
SATA2_5: Not Detected

so, what what options here do I need to change? :)

SATA mode -> ahci, NOT ide and enable Smart
Also I'd stick the DVD drive on one of the last two sata II ports (But not a biggy all depend on what you plan on adding later).

While you're at it, either disable marvel controller or at least set to ahci also

DarkMatterTrace

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Cool now you should be able to install after this:

change SATA Mode: IDE Mode -> to AHCI (if its there) or SATA mode.

This will also enhance performance of all drives as IDE mode is kind of outfased

Gallarian

Distinguished
just a side question while this is loading..

when I reconnect my HDD with Win7 also loaded on, how do I choose which one to boot from?

I want to boot from SSD and then copy files from my HDD to it, then wipe the HDD and use it for storage.

Gallarian

Distinguished
ok, boot has worked and Im now installing windows!

Thank you ever so much guys, this is why I love toms haha!

while youre still here though, could you help me with me the question from the previous post? :)

DarkMatterTrace

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Cheers you got it working :)

You can choose which drive you default boot from in bios (under boot con). When you are in windows you can google bcdedit and lookup the options for boot configurations.

Anyway good luck with your new fast ssd I have the same ssd and its a nice change from my old system drive :)

To select boot drive, Hit F11 during post. This will bring up boot menu. Select which drive to boot to. NOTE: this does not change the boot priority set in BIOS, so if you reboot and do not hit F11 you will boot to the drive set in bios.

You can keep your OS on the HDD until you are satisfied with SSD.

Download and run AS SSD. Do not need to run the benchmark, just look at upper left and it will display:
.. Make and Firmware version of drive
.. Driver - Should be iaSTor (since you probable have not down loaded intels RST (Ver 10.6 or later) it will probably be ahci. If IDE = Bad, then not good.
.. Should also show partition alignment = OK. Note for your SSD you should have a small 100 mb system partition in addition to the "C" drive.

If partition algnment is not OK or you do not have the 100 mb partition: In your other post, I indicated you should have selected custom install and DELETED all partitions prior to installing windows 7.

Gallarian

Distinguished
right guys.. a new problem now..

My system wont find my graphics card, its only finding the onboard integrated graphics.

so, to make sure everythings still working in that departement, I unplugged my SSD and then plugged in my HDD. On start up I blue screen and shut down.. using the repair tool now.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Ok so, Ive reset the BIOS setting changed earlier (I need to make sure my graphics card is fine, Im shitting myself here!)

everythings working again, so it would seem that my PC wont boot from my HDD with those settings for my SSD, but my SSD wont pick up my graphics card :S

sorry to make you guys hand on in there with this, but it is really appreciated

Gallarian

Distinguished
Edit:

After finding out my graphics card is still working (thank god!) Ive reconnected my SSD and put the BIOS settings to ACHI so it works. Ive now diabled the onboard graphics and managed to get it to find my GTX580. So finally, were back on track!

Now its just sorting that boot order out..

Problem with the HDD was that windows was installed with the Bios set to IDE, when changed to ahci for SSD then there was a comunications problem for the HDD.

This is easily correctable.
With the SSD disconnected, and HDD connected, bios set to IDE you boot the the HDD, make a registry change power off, change bios back to ahci and boot to HDD. then stick ssd back in and set boot priority to SSD. Use F11 to boot to HDD.

For changing IDE -> ahci:
1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

Reboot, enter Bios and change IDE -> AHCI

Gallarian

Distinguished
I didnt have to mess about with all that mate, I just reset the mode back to AHCI and it worked fine after that!

I reinstalled my GPU drivers on my SSD and now everything works fine

DJToast

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012