Sign in with
Your question

Need help with 212+ URGENT

Last response: in Overclocking
October 6, 2012 12:51:22 AM

I am in the middle of building my first pc and i am having some trouble with the 212+.

When I was installing the backplate i couldnt figure out what those foam things that came with the package were for. I assumed they were supposed to go inbetween the backplate and the motherboard, so i put them on the backplate and attached it.
After i finaly manage to install the heat sink and get ready to put the fan on and see those same foam things and realize they were for noise canceling on the other fan.

Everything seems to be connected tightly, should i take the backplate off and remove the foam or leave it as is? please help me.

More about : 212 urgent

October 6, 2012 1:31:40 AM

i removed it and when i pulled the foam off it pealed off the anti static thing from the backplate so now my backplate is screwed up. cooler master really sucks for their lack of good instructions
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2012 1:39:26 AM

I found a better use for those :) 

They are the feet for my card reader now.

If you did not bend the back plate, just tape the plastic thing back on it should be ok. It is to prevent metal to board contact.

I actually had to cut mine to clear some rear board parts and even use spacers to get it a bit farther from the board to clear others. It has caused no negative effects for mine.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2012 3:59:59 AM

^^ what he said just tape that crap back on no one is gonna see it as long as its there to prevent a short you are good
m
l
October 6, 2012 2:11:52 PM

There was a little bit of glue stuck on one of the corners. I am just going to ask CM for a new one. I hope I didn't screw anything up. I only had 50% alcohol available to clean off cpu. I am using stock heatsink for now and I seem to idle 36-39c at boot up. Is that decent? I downloaded afterburner to try and view realtime temps but I guess you have to have a video card to use it.
m
l
October 6, 2012 2:27:40 PM

The insulation things are all ripped off from trying to pull of the foam noise cancelers I stuck to them. And one still has some of the glue stuck on it. I don't think that is too good.
m
l
October 6, 2012 2:28:08 PM

ty for the link too btw
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2012 2:35:45 PM

The glue should not hurt anything. If you are worried tape over it with packing/electrical tape or something(just remember when you remove it, the tapes own glue will be stick to the plate because the heat will transfer it.). that still is just to keep the plate from shorting parts of the board.

Some companies actually have glue on back plates(I hate those and just leave the paper on then instead).
m
l
October 6, 2012 3:07:55 PM

I downloaded the link it gave me something called 7z which I don't know hwat it is nor how to use it. is this the cpuid thing?
m
l
October 6, 2012 3:17:17 PM

Ok, I got it now, thanks, idk how I got 7z lol. Temps seem to be ok, I'm going to run Blacklight Retribution and see how high they get.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:51:33 PM

So, you are saying could wrap electrical tape around the spots that touch the motherboard and it will work?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2012 5:58:42 PM

yes, what board are you using?

If it is an Intel board, you can just tape the 4 spots that touch(only 1 layer). that would keep the plate flat.
m
l
October 6, 2012 10:21:05 PM

asrock z77 extreme4
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2012 11:22:41 PM

Yah, so you just have the 4 spots touching, just tape em and install away.
m
l
!