Sign in with
Your question

What temperature should Radeon 5750 run at?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2010 8:43:25 PM

My MSI Radeon HD 5750 runs really hot. It is about 80c at load with auto fan control and stock speed (idle@50c). When I overclock the card to 800mhz and 1250mzh (RAM), the load temperature was around 90c. Setting fan to 100% drops the load temperature about 5F to 85c.
Is my card hotter than usually? Is 90c safe for HD 5750?
January 25, 2010 3:52:14 AM

90'C is still safe at full load.
Make sure your case has a good airflow on it.
I suggest u don't continue OC your card, it's hot enough and dangerous when u keep that temps...
January 25, 2010 3:58:19 AM

I remember reading somewhere about ATI claiming running their cards @ 90degC is of no concern. I wouldn't be so sure myself. If you are worried, yank the stock cooler out and put a thermalright HR 03 on it.
Related resources
January 25, 2010 1:19:55 PM

I sent an email to AMD support team to ask about safe operating temp for 5700 series. Hopefully I will get something useful back.
January 25, 2010 4:20:39 PM

I run FurMark a few more times at stock speed, the load temp actually went up as high as 87c. Now this is ridiculous.
January 25, 2010 4:27:42 PM

yiplong said:
I run FurMark a few more times at stock speed, the load temp actually went up as high as 87c. Now this is ridiculous.

There is not much to say unless you tell us what brand your 5750 is. Stock coolers on different makes vary wildly in performance. It would also help if you tell us what case you have and how it is cooled. 87degC is not that big of a deal.
January 25, 2010 4:30:46 PM

It has alot to do with your ambient temp, and case airflow as well. Your temps are all acceptable, even though they are on the higher side for that card. But if you have a smaller case, not alot of air moving inside, or like to crank the thermostat, you will see higher temps.
January 25, 2010 4:55:55 PM

fafner said:
There is not much to say unless you tell us what brand your 5750 is. Stock coolers on different makes vary wildly in performance. It would also help if you tell us what case you have and how it is cooled. 87degC is not that big of a deal.

I thought I said this is a "MSI" card?
January 25, 2010 4:59:30 PM

yiplong said:
I thought I said this is a "MSI" card?

Yes you did but you still haven't said anything about your case. I hope someone else has better patience to help you out. Bye.
January 25, 2010 5:22:51 PM

fafner said:
Yes you did but you still haven't said anything about your case. I hope someone else has better patience to help you out. Bye.
Very rude.

The temps are a little high but fine. like I mentioned, ambient temps or case airflow can cause this, but nothing to be alarmed about.

January 25, 2010 5:25:38 PM

jay2tall said:
Very rude.

The temps are a little high but fine. like I mentioned, ambient temps or case airflow can cause this, but nothing to be alarmed about.

Was I talking to you?
January 25, 2010 5:35:36 PM

MSI tech support person just told me to "use ATI-certified case with good ventilation", and "temp should not exceed 90c". Tech supports are generally useless, I told him my X3 720@3.55ghz runs at 40c full load, case temp clearly isn't an issue, but it's good to know 90c is considered the ceiling.

On my case right now I have one 120mm fan on the side panel blowing into the case, and one 120mm fan in the back just behind the CPU, also blowing in, and one 120mm top exhaust fan. The CPU fan blows up.

My plan is to move the 120mm top exhaust fan to the front of the case, to blow some cool air in, and get a 140mm top exhaust fan. Hopefully this will reduce the temperature somewhat.
January 25, 2010 6:13:11 PM

fafner said:
Was I talking to you?

You don't need to be.

yiplong said:
MSI tech support person just told me to "use ATI-certified case with good ventilation", and "temp should not exceed 90c". Tech supports are generally useless, I told him my X3 720@3.55ghz runs at 40c full load, case temp clearly isn't an issue, but it's good to know 90c is considered the ceiling.

On my case right now I have one 120mm fan on the side panel blowing into the case, and one 120mm fan in the back just behind the CPU, also blowing in, and one 120mm top exhaust fan. The CPU fan blows up.

My plan is to move the 120mm top exhaust fan to the front of the case, to blow some cool air in, and get a 140mm top exhaust fan. Hopefully this will reduce the temperature somewhat.

When you say "load temp is 90C" how are you generating the load? Is it just a game or a benchmark, or a test like OCCT?

The one fan you mentioned I am concerned about, but not sure if it was a type-o. You said the 120mm fan in the back of your case behind the CPU, is this the back of your case where the IO ports are?, this fan should blow out to exhaust hot air. I assume the top fan it blowing out as well as you said it is an exhaust fan. Sorry just clarifying. air should flow in from the front of your case, and blow out the back and possibly top (if you have a blowhole fan). The side fan can blow either way, usually in against the video card.
January 25, 2010 8:12:34 PM

Quote:
You don't need to be.

When you say "load temp is 90C" how are you generating the load? Is it just a game or a benchmark, or a test like OCCT?

Running FurMark. 92c is the load temp when OC'ed to 800/1250. If I crank up the fan to 100%, OCed load temp drops to 85c, but if the fan is left on auto, it never goes up that high. It ranges from 30% to 50%, even when the temp is 90c. I wonder if there is any way to widen the range of auto fan speed?
Stock temp at load is 87c, which is also high.

Quote:
The one fan you mentioned I am concerned about, but not sure if it was a type-o. You said the 120mm fan in the back of your case behind the CPU, is this the back of your case where the IO ports are?, this fan should blow out to exhaust hot air. I assume the top fan it blowing out as well as you said it is an exhaust fan. Sorry just clarifying. air should flow in from the front of your case, and blow out the back and possibly top (if you have a blowhole fan). The side fan can blow either way, usually in against the video card.

I have this fan blowing in. I should change it to blow out of the case. The case temp is generally quite good though. CPUID Hardware Monitor is showing 38c case temperature.
January 25, 2010 11:15:57 PM

It is also kind of strange that the GPU temp never go much below 50c idle no matter how fast the fan spins. I just kicked up the fan to 100% and let it sit idle, and the thing was 49c, compared to the usual 51-52c idle when fan is 35%, there is almost no difference.

When fan is set to auto, it never spins above 50%, no matter how hot the GPU is. Is there anyway to set it so the fan would spin up to 100% if the temp is really high?
March 9, 2010 8:22:28 AM

I believe there is an ATI tray tool that allows for adjustments on fan speeds and when they kick in. If I am wrong, then I am sorry. As for your temps being that high even at idle, I would consider the possibility that your temp probe on the card is not calibrated correctly. All of the ATI cards I have owned have idled at less than 40c so I see no reason why yours would be any different unless there is an inherent issue with that particular card.
May 29, 2010 7:29:37 PM

download msi afterburner 1.5 and the fan will be controlled properly by the software
!