SSD not loading windows 7 and preventing other hard drives from loadin

Inhuman19

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
The SSD mentioned in this post is a 3 month old Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III SSD.

One day I was using my windows 7 desktop computer, and everything froze. This has happened a few times before, so I hit the reset button on my HAF X case and waited. However, Windows 7 was stuck on the loading screen (more than 30 min). My first reaction was to use the Windows 7 installation disk to repair startup problems. But there was a problem. The disk itself did not want to load with the SSD plugged in. Trying to outsmart my computer, I booted from the disk and then plugged in the SSD and hit refresh storage devices (when selecting what drive I want to install windows on). This did not work, and the disk froze just like windows 7 before the reset. The SSD was detected in the BIOS if it was plugged in when the computer is turned on. My next step was to try safe mode, which did not work (The computer loads through all the drivers until it gets to C:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys, and then it stops) . Having very limited options left, I removed the SSD and plugged it into an older Windows XP machine. As expected, the computer failed to load Windows XP, almost entirely eliminating a hardware problem since it was a different computer. Thinking that I was out of options, I installed Windows 7 on another hard drive and decided to test it out with the SSD plugged in. Again, Windows 7 did not load from the hard drive. After unplugging the SSD to boot from my hard drive, I installed Ubuntu. I also decided to see if the SSD would be detected by Windows 7 on disk management after refreshing, but the SSD was not detected. Booting to Ubuntu with the SSD plugged in was successful, and the SSD was detected as a 64GB filesystem. When I tried to open the drive, Ubuntu froze just like Windows 7 did, and I was forced to reset. I Unable to continue diagnosing because I do not understand how Ubuntu works when it comes to running/installing programs or general disk management, or any other command for that matter. Now, I am stuck here, asking for help. I am almost entirely sure the problem has nothing to do with my other computer parts as my computer works 100% fine and I have run some tests to be 90% sure the problem is not my video card(HD 6870), Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM), or CPU (i3 2100). My motherboard is the ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. Thank you for reading/helping.

Inhuman19

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

It is detected in Ubuntu and in the BIOS, there must be a program that fixes/tests hard drives for Ubuntu. All I need is someone to help me with that. I would RMA it, but the problem is that I do not want to lose the programs/data(I lose very little, but for some reason my programs that are installed on my 1TB HDD do not work without my SSD). I would gladly try and reformat it before the RMA though, and I do not know how to do that with Ubuntu.

Before you rma the drive update the firmware to version 0309. If the drive is already on version 0309 go to Crucial's Technical Support and see if you can force an update with the same version. With OCZ drives you can force an update even if you have the latest version, but I don't know if you can do that with Crucial drives.

After you've updated the firmware secure erase the drive.

If you are still having issues then you should start the rma process.