Two questions about display...

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I recently purchased a ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" and a SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870/ I have two questions for the communities:

1.) I have HDMI and DVI ports on the 5870, is one better than the other when plugging into the monitor shown above (which also has both ports)?

2.) Once I get these two parts talking is there any software or websites that can help me calibrate the monitor to get the best display?

Thanks advance for any input,
Mr_E

Solution
Other points:
1) the audio from this HDMI port is almost certainly only for watching videos like a DVD (read your manual). Not only that but you would have to SWITCH from your normal audio card to the ATI one (may be able to do this from the speaker icon in the lower right of your screen.)

I think there are audio decoders built into the card (probably not for DTS audio). So you'd have to switch from your onboard audio or audio card to the ATI/HDMI one to watch a movie then switch back again for Windows Sounds or games. Seems pretty dumb to me.

I really don't get the point of having a partial HDMI setup. If the graphics card can't put out game or Windows sounds through the HDMI output why even have it?

2) Monitor speakers usually...

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
First, thank you for the clarification paperfox. I will update the drivers as you mentioned but is there a way to find the optimal settings for contrast, brightness, saturation, color temperature, etc (these are option that are available in the monitor menu)? I guess that is what I was thinking of when I said calibrate.

Other points:
1) the audio from this HDMI port is almost certainly only for watching videos like a DVD (read your manual). Not only that but you would have to SWITCH from your normal audio card to the ATI one (may be able to do this from the speaker icon in the lower right of your screen.)

I think there are audio decoders built into the card (probably not for DTS audio). So you'd have to switch from your onboard audio or audio card to the ATI/HDMI one to watch a movie then switch back again for Windows Sounds or games. Seems pretty dumb to me.

I really don't get the point of having a partial HDMI setup. If the graphics card can't put out game or Windows sounds through the HDMI output why even have it?

2) Monitor speakers usually suck (there's no space). Read some reviews and spend a tiny bit of money. Even $50 will go a long way.

3) Calibrating: Windows Media Center has a great tool in its setup if you have a version of Windows with it. You can Google some good, free tools pretty easily. Some are right on Websites. Try just "monitor calibration"

Summary:
- ignore HDMI
- get reasonable quality speakers (M-Audio for stereo; 2.1 for better bass)
- spend time and read reviews for speakers
- Media Center setup or google "monitor calibration"

Solution

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Well it sounds like DVI is what I will be using, which is good because the monitor comes with a DVI cable. Regarding the monitor audio/speaks, I was not planning on using them. I have a older Logitec 2.1 surround system that has served me well enough. I have never gotten into the habit of playing music on my PC.