Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master HAF 922 side case fan

Last response: in Components
April 8, 2010 3:17:19 AM

Is it advisable to buy this fan on my cooler master case? I did some researching on the net. I found out that adding a case fan would just let you accumulate more dust on your pc. Is this true? Is it really recommended to buy that fan. I don't want to buy this fan and just let dust build on my mobo.
a b ) Power supply
April 8, 2010 3:28:37 AM

Well, obviously more dust will come in, but, the increased airflow will aid in cooling more of your components. Mainly the northbridge, if your motherboard has one, will be most affected by adding a side fan. Then come the CPU and graphics card.
April 8, 2010 5:09:20 AM

I have a gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo. I don't know if that has a north bridge.
Related resources
April 8, 2010 3:40:08 PM

I have the HAF 932 and can easily say that the fan on the side panel greatly increases airflow and keeps the video card and cpu cool while under heavy load and during long gaming sessions.

While I agree that the side panel fan increases the chances of dust bunnies taking residence in the case it is nothing that a can of compressed air and five minutes can't handle.

And yes, the GA-P55-UD3 doesn't have a northbridge/southbridge in the classical sense, but one chip that does both jobs. In either case, haivng the side panel will help keep all components cool.
April 9, 2010 12:47:46 AM

What if I just get a dust filter for my 200 mm fan such as this one.

April 9, 2010 3:29:02 AM

A nice filter certainly wouldn't hurt and would minimize the amount of dust that gets into the case. You'll still have to clean the filter though. Ideally you would want to place the filter on the outside of the case to facilitate easy cleaning and save the steps of having to take the side panel off to clean it and the fan.
April 9, 2010 4:08:50 AM

that's a great idea
April 9, 2010 9:25:19 AM

I believe this is the only way to install the filter to the 200 mm fan. Which means I have to unscrew the whole thing in case I want to clean the filter.

a b ) Power supply
April 9, 2010 6:58:53 PM

You should be able to mount the filter outside of the case, that way cleaning is easier. Only bad thing is they will be outside thus not look as good.

Anyways just be sure to clean the filter once a week. Dust build up on filters wrecks havoc on air flow.
April 16, 2010 2:59:28 AM

ok
!