exdetonator

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hey guys, so I just did a fresh install of the hyper 212 plus. The stock cooler was doing alright but meh, 20 bucks for some lower temps is not too bad. So my computer has an i5 3570k over clocked to 4.2 GHZ. The cpu throttles up and down constantly, but at 4.2 ghz its usually at about 1.959 vcore, pretty solid think. My temps on idle range from 36-41 degrees celcius, and on prime95 from 63-73 degrees celcius. The range is pretty wierd, but my first core generally hovers at around 63-65 where as the rest go to 69-73 Are these temps alright for this overclock and cooler? Thanks guys.

G

check that Vcore because anything above 1.4 is not desirable. ~ 1.35 or less is better.

exdetonator

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Oh really? Well right now the vcore goes up and down by itself, so I really don't know why it's so high. I've tried adjusting vcore in bios manually before but for some reason, even when i disable speedstep and c1e, my vcore goes up and down. How do I keep it under the safe 1.4 v?

fudoka711

Distinguished
I have to ask - why is your vcore set to be so high at 4.2ghz? Was that the lowest voltage you could use to get a stable overclock? Also what motherboard are you using? For reference, I also have an i5-3570k but its oc'd to 4.6ghz using a max vcore of 1.35. (4.5ghz i only offset by +0.030). I use an ASRock extreme6. I have read that a vcore higher than 1.5 is bad for these intel cpu's (not officially stated by intel).

I do think that your temps are still okay under Prime95. They seem a little high for idle, but its nothing to worry about. You could try taking the cooler off and reapplying the thermal paste. Sometimes it just doesn't work right the first time.

EDIT: Hmm ok so you said its auto adjusting. That could mean that the CPU is bad or the mobo is bad. What kind of mobo do you have? You might not have an asrock one, but this guide to overclocking might help still: http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

G

before anyone can make any suggestions: what motherboard do you have?

G

it will only take a few minutes to remove the heatsink, use alcohol on a coffee filter to clean off the cpu and base of heatsink, apply a dot of theraml paste on the cpu and reinstall the heatsink.

TRENDING THREADS