Need Cooling Advice

wakytime

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hi! I'm a new system builder with a question on system cooling or is my system over heating......

System:
E8400 with stock cooler, Asus P5Q-E Motherboard.

I'm not a power user, don't play games and have not even considered over clocking.

I normally see chassis and CPU temperatures in the mid to upper 40 degree C. My system gives me an alarm about 51 degrees C. I often get alarms, like when I'm running a video, which shouldn't be that much of a drain (I think).

I was thinking about replacing the stock cooler but don't really know where my problem is..... Can anyone help?

> What should the safe alarm temperature be for the E8400?

> If I need a cooler, any suggestions appropriate for my needs?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Bill K

My first guess is that your case isn't cool enough. What case (and fans) do you have for this system?

51 degrees isn't that high, so I wouldn't be too concerned. A lot of systems run in the 50-60c range under load (depending on the configuration). Most systems will be about 30-35 at idle too, just so you know.

wakytime

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

---------------------------------------------------

My case is a gigabyte titon with 2-120 fans. Just checked idle case temps and yes I'm running about 30 C at idle. From what I gather I'm ok and I should raise my alarm temp to 55 to 58. Sound about right?

Thansks again........ Bill K.

P.S. Is Lunyone any kin to wakytime?

No I'm not kin to wakytime (I'm assuming your referring to the Facebook video??). I would adjust my temperature alarm to about 65c, because if you start to creep up to that level (from 55 now) you obviously have something going on. If your room temperature creeps up about 3 degrees than you might get an alarm, which to me isn't necessary.

Like everyone has said, 51c is not too bad and you should be fine.

How old is that machine? After maybe 2-3 years, the thermal paste under the CPU heatsink often gets baked into crud and loses a lot of its heat conductivity. So if your system falls into that age range, first thing I'd do is try cleaning off the old thermal paste and re-applying it new. That alone may bring the temperature down.