Warranties on GPU and CPU

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
What does warranty on GPUs and CPUs say about overclocking- Is it covered?

I've come across this 'extra warranty' for failure on overclocking on Intel CPUs. With them selling this to the public, does this mean overclocking is not covered in Intel's warranties?
And also, if you do decide to OC and intel cpu, does it automatically void your warranty?
How about the AMD cpus?

Warranties on GPUs: Some graphic cards are sold 'factory overclocked', but what about if you buy one that is not factory OCd? If you overclock it yourself does it automatically void your warranty?
Is there certain companies that allow OC'ing that i should be aware of?

Solution
You say, "Gee sir, I don't know what could've happened, it was working fine, then when I went to start the computer, it wouldn't start. The fine young man at Best Buy said the CPU has died..."

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
For intel, if you dont purchase the extra warranty, and you fry it or whatever, will they even know you OC'd it- because isnt the settings that you changed on the mobo bios and you're not really sending the mobo when you return the CPU?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

They shouldn't know so long as you don't tell them ;)

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
So what could you say instead then?
And even if you dont tell them, wont the test it out or something to try and find out whats wrong with it-then they eventually get to the conclusion that you OC'd it?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Tests will show that it is dead. They can't prove that you OCed it or that there wasn't a power surge or that it wasn't simply faulty.

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Alright! Thanks guys, just gonna casually buy an Intel CPu now and gonna stick to what the wareanty says "...not to be overclocked..." *wink* *wink* haha

Any one know the rules in the warranty for graphics cards?

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Is graphics card the same as CPUs then? OC it but then it dies for some reason then claim warranty, obviously not saying you OCd it, and it will just come dead on arrival with the manufacturer no way of proving you OCd it?

Could you simply say, "Gee sir, I don't know what could've happened, it was working fine, then when I went to start the computer, there was no display. The fine young man at Best Buy said the Graphics Card has died..."

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Basically, yes. If you don't tell them that you overclocked, then they can't tell that you did by inspecting it. For all they know, it was already faulty or there was a power surge. There are some situations where they might guess (such as cards that have have a BIOS switch and you don't switch it to the stock position before shipping), but there's no situation that I'm aware of where you can't prevent them from figuring it out if you're a little careful.