Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Warranties on GPU and CPU

Last response: in Overclocking
October 6, 2012 2:17:51 PM

What does warranty on GPUs and CPUs say about overclocking- Is it covered?

I've come across this 'extra warranty' for failure on overclocking on Intel CPUs. With them selling this to the public, does this mean overclocking is not covered in Intel's warranties?
And also, if you do decide to OC and intel cpu, does it automatically void your warranty?
How about the AMD cpus?

Warranties on GPUs: Some graphic cards are sold 'factory overclocked', but what about if you buy one that is not factory OCd? If you overclock it yourself does it automatically void your warranty?
Is there certain companies that allow OC'ing that i should be aware of?

More about : warranties gpu cpu

a c 92 K Overclocking
a c 124 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 7, 2012 4:02:10 AM

Overclocking will void Intel's standard warranty. The extra warranty covers a single replacement only - if you fry the replacement, the next one is out of your pocket.
For AMD CPU's, this link covers their what is not covered policy
http://support.amd.com/us/warranty/pib/Pages/pib-step2....
For Graphics cards, I'm not sure
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 7, 2012 4:03:44 AM

Read each companies warranty. Nvidia themselves don't support overclocking, but the manufactuers like EVGA do cover overclocking.
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2012 11:18:19 AM

For intel, if you dont purchase the extra warranty, and you fry it or whatever, will they even know you OC'd it- because isnt the settings that you changed on the mobo bios and you're not really sending the mobo when you return the CPU?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 11:27:40 AM

wrenaudrey said:
For intel, if you dont purchase the extra warranty, and you fry it or whatever, will they even know you OC'd it- because isnt the settings that you changed on the mobo bios and you're not really sending the mobo when you return the CPU?

They shouldn't know so long as you don't tell them ;) 
m
l
a c 92 K Overclocking
a c 124 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 7, 2012 11:34:11 AM

luciferano said:
They shouldn't know so long as you don't tell them ;) 

'Tis very true, I was going to edit and point that out...
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:27:32 PM

So what could you say instead then?
And even if you dont tell them, wont the test it out or something to try and find out whats wrong with it-then they eventually get to the conclusion that you OC'd it?
m
l

Best solution

a c 92 K Overclocking
a c 124 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 7, 2012 5:55:25 PM

You say, "Gee sir, I don't know what could've happened, it was working fine, then when I went to start the computer, it wouldn't start. The fine young man at Best Buy said the CPU has died..."
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 6:37:54 PM

wrenaudrey said:
So what could you say instead then?
And even if you dont tell them, wont the test it out or something to try and find out whats wrong with it-then they eventually get to the conclusion that you OC'd it?

Tests will show that it is dead. They can't prove that you OCed it or that there wasn't a power surge or that it wasn't simply faulty.
m
l
October 7, 2012 10:32:22 PM

Alright! Thanks guys, just gonna casually buy an Intel CPu now and gonna stick to what the wareanty says "...not to be overclocked..." *wink* *wink* haha

Any one know the rules in the warranty for graphics cards?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 11:35:29 PM

Different graphics cards have different warranties. Generally, they are supposed to be voided by overclocking, but I'm sure that I've seen some warranties that include overclocking.
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:45:10 PM

Is graphics card the same as CPUs then? OC it but then it dies for some reason then claim warranty, obviously not saying you OCd it, and it will just come dead on arrival with the manufacturer no way of proving you OCd it?

Could you simply say, "Gee sir, I don't know what could've happened, it was working fine, then when I went to start the computer, there was no display. The fine young man at Best Buy said the Graphics Card has died..."
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 1:58:43 AM

Basically, yes. If you don't tell them that you overclocked, then they can't tell that you did by inspecting it. For all they know, it was already faulty or there was a power surge. There are some situations where they might guess (such as cards that have have a BIOS switch and you don't switch it to the stock position before shipping), but there's no situation that I'm aware of where you can't prevent them from figuring it out if you're a little careful.
m
l
a c 92 K Overclocking
a c 124 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 9, 2012 2:25:28 AM

I think as long as your CPU doesn't show any of the indications shown in the AMD link I posted, you'll be okay to play ignorant as to "cause of death"
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:11:28 AM

Best answer selected by wrenaudrey.
m
l
October 9, 2012 7:11:32 AM

Alright! thank you for all three of you that answered.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:38:16 PM

You're welcome.
m
l
!