Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2010 10:51:42 PM

Thinking about getting the ASUS P7P55D EVO

I currently have an Asus Striker 2 with a Q6600.
I'd like to upgrade to an i5 and ddr3 memory.

I mainly game with my computer and pretty much all I plan to do with it. A little bit of photo editing every now and then but that's about it.

Is this much of an upgrade for me?

My current setup is:
Q6600
8gb ddr2 OCZ RAM
650w power supply
gtx 285 OC edition

In my newegg cart I currently have:
ASUS P7P55D EVO
i5-750
G.Skill Ripjaw ddr3 1600 4gb (because if I read correctly this mother board does not support triple channel???)

Plan on keeping the same PSU and graphics.

I read that the i7 isn't much of an upgrade if i'm just gaming, and that it's more for 3d rendering or 1080p movie editing?

Any insight would be great.
Thanks guys,
Echod

More about : asus mobo

Best solution

a c 108 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 3, 2010 11:48:06 PM

The mobo and CPU are significant upgrades, but can't tell you if the RAM is an improvement, based on what you've posted. Post the specs on your RAM and the G.Skill RAM (or better yet, post a link to both)

You are correct in your assessment of triple channel memory; only the i-7 supports triple channel.

One thing to take note of with RAM and i-series is not set your RAM voltage higher than 1.65v, or you'll risk damaging the CPU.
September 4, 2010 12:06:02 AM

T_T said:
The mobo and CPU are significant upgrades, but can't tell you if the RAM is an improvement, based on what you've posted. Post the specs on your RAM and the G.Skill RAM (or better yet, post a link to both)

You are correct in your assessment of triple channel memory; only the i-7 supports triple channel.

One thing to take note of with RAM and i-series is not set your RAM voltage higher than 1.65v, or you'll risk damaging the CPU.

Thanks for the response T_T

I'm not real sure what my old ram is but I bought it about 2 years ago and got a pretty decent deal on it so I'm sure compared to today it's not much
BUT
here is the new RAM i was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a c 108 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 4, 2010 12:25:24 AM

Yes, those RAM modules will do nicely. 1.6v is below the maximum threshold, so that's a plus.

m
l
September 14, 2010 10:01:42 PM

Best answer selected by echod.
m
l
!