SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 120gb
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
VCard: Sapphire Radeon HD 5970
PSU: Corsair Professional HX750W
Cooler: Scythe Mugen Rev 2
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower

For the memory, I'm stuck between:
G. Skill 6GB RipJaws 8-8-8-24 and CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 7-8-7-20

Are the Corsair's with CAS7 better than the Ripjaws with CAS8? Or are they not worth the extra 33$ they cost. I'm unfamiliar with timings, which is why I ask. The computer is used for gaming, streaming, simulations (CFD) and websurfing. I'm assuming since I've spent 2200 on the system already, that I should just go for the Corsairs and spend the extra 30$ or so?

Any help is appreciated, and I'm open to other suggestions as well. If you do have another suggestion, I use www.newegg.ca, www.ncix.com, canadacomputers.com and infonec.com.

More about : choosing memory kit

September 3, 2010 11:46:11 PM

Hi jr88,

You are correct in assuming that an extra $30 dollars at this point shouldn't matter and it doesn't really, but in the case of CAS Latency, the lower the better. The 7's will be tighter,quicker and usually more stable to overclock. Both brands are of excellant quality and you may be able to find G. Skill 7's at the speed and type of the corsairs. I have used both in the past and I have never had any trouble with either. Enjoy the new build,happy gaming!!

Sincerely,
Third Darkness

m
l
a b } Memory
September 4, 2010 2:30:49 AM

Spending more $$ doesn't always mean you're getting a better piece of equipment - especially when you do a price / performance comparison. In this case, I wouldn't recommend $30 just to get one CAS lower.

Here's an article that should help, outside of synthetic benchmarks 1 drop in CAS Latency does not provide huge gains in performance:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 4, 2010 1:30:31 PM

I would get the Ripjaws kit good deal.
or maybe this at the link or try pricematch at Ncix to see if they stock it..$5 difference is better then $30.
Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600MHZ 6GB Triple Channel Kit-$150.77
http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=RAM-MK-998782
Really nothing wrong with the Gskills though i have some Ripjaws good stuff.
September 4, 2010 2:11:15 PM

I would choose the G.skill
m
l
September 12, 2010 4:07:44 PM

Best answer selected by jr88.
m
l
!